6490M, Rift & InDesign

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matt54987, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Matt54987 macrumors newbie

I recently graduated college and had to sell my 11" MBA since I now need a laptop with enough power (and screen space) to run Adobe InDesign as I need it for my career.

I have always been an Apple fan, especially when it comes to laptops. I have a very powerful PC desktop which I can use for InDesign and gaming and I had my eye on the ASUS 1215B AMD Fusion netbook because of its price and performance but I realized it is not ideal for what I need.

So I began looking at a number of PC laptops but no matter how much I liked the look and/or specs of a machine there was always some problem with it that steered my away. I am now pretty much back to realizing that I will most likely have to increase my budget and grab a 15" MBP.

I see that there are really two options in the 15" spectrum and the biggest difference to me is the video card. I'm not too up to date with these two video cards, but I really don't want to spend $2K if I don't have to.

I do plan on gaming a bit on this computer. I'll play Rift and Counter-Strike Source quite a bit with some Dragon Age II and similar games.

Will the 6490M suffice for InDesign and the above mentioned games?

I'll most likely be purchasing the laptop at Best Buy so I won't have the option of the higher resolution screen, unless of course it'll make a world of difference. Glare is not an issue.

Would appreciate any help.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It will do. The newer stuff probably only on medium settings but that should be enough as you have a desktop to play with all details. 6490 is about equal to the 330M of the old 15".

3. shelhed217 macrumors member

I played Rift on windows 7 with the 2010 15 inch 330M card and had 16-20 fps just leveling. I am playing now on my new 15 inch with 6750 and i am getting 40-50.

4. Matt54987 thread starter macrumors newbie

What graphic setting are you on?

I'm OK with playing it on low if needed for steady FPS.