64gb or 32gb iphone 4s? worth the extra $100 for 32gb of more memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TechStooge, Jan 28, 2012.

1. TechStooge macrumors member

Alright so the title says it all and heres my situation to add more detail.

long story short, i lost my iphone 4 32gb in a lecture at uni. sucks, its gone, ive tried everything from tracking and such but its def gone for good :(

i had 2 option. extend my contract and raise my 25 dollars plan to 50+ and get the 4s on discount, or buy the phone directly from apple out right.

long story short about the 25 dollar plan, i dont have data which is why its so cheap

anyways, back to the phone

decided buying outirght would be more cost effective IMO.

the 32gb is 649 plus tax in canada

and thee 64gb s 749.

on my iphone 4 i had 7gb of space left.

i thought since im going all out on the iphone (paying full price for it) i thought maybe go all out on the max specs

since im getting the iphone this way, i doubt iil get the ipone 5 since im spending to much on the 4s this time around.

i do make youtube vids and such but i end up moving the video clips from phone to mac anyway so the library isnt full of random clips

what do u guys think? worth 64gb?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't know for a fact about Canada, but most providers won't allow no data with the iPhone. Just something to consider, as I would hate to have you buy off contract for the soul reason of saving on your monthly bill only to be forced to select the plan anyway.

As far as the storage, I don't think it's worth the extra money. That is ME though. I went with the 16GB and I always have 8+ gigs free. That said, I no longer store music on the phone since I stream it all via google music. All I have locally are apps (mostly games), some books, and jailbreak tweaks.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

8MP Pictures and 1080p video will use up a lot of memory, so if you plan on using your phone for images and video and if you can afford it, I say just go for it.

Right now I have a 16GB iPhone 4 (and so was my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G), so I told myself that when Apple releases the next version of the iPhone (I am skipping the iPhone 4S) I am going to go all out and get the highest capacity available.

4. TechStooge thread starter macrumors member

i had th eiphone and my carrier ROGERS had no issues with not having data on it. they simply just turned my data for my account off. i can text and call which is all i wanted. anything data i use wi fi. saved me half the money i would normally pay for a cell phone

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's amazing. Another example of Americans getting screwed! ;)

6. bTaryag macrumors member

It's a matter of opinion. If I would have the money, I would spend extra for the extra memory.

7. TechStooge thread starter macrumors member

well this was done like 3 years ago.

some rogers reps were surprised i had this when i call in to ask them about stuff. they say nowadays, its MANDATORY to have data for a smartphone when you BUYING from THEM.

8. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

Although phone companies charge way too much for data, it seems odd to buy a smartphone without getting data. I have never been able to rely on wifi everywhere I need a data connection, which is increasing as more services are offered to smartphone users (e.g., I pay for parking using a data connection on my phone now - no more coins andvyou cannot rely on wifi for this).

Aside from the data issue, I wonder why you are spending so much to buy another iphone 4. Yeah, it is the 4s, but isn't it likely that the next iphone will be out in a few months. Why not buy a refab 4 for use until then?

9. TechStooge thread starter macrumors member

well for data, its not like i need to check facebook or twitter or weather etc all the time on the go.

for me the main purpose of the cell phone part is text and call. the other major media thing i use is music, all of which dont require data. i wont lie at times i wish i had data but 98% of time i jsut dont need it. saving half my phone bill is more then worth while. depends on everyones usage of course

i went on the apple site but there arent any reburfished iphone 4s.

a legit refurbihed iphone 4 would still run atlest 400 bucks more or less.

granted iphone 5 will come out later this year but, i kinda need a phone "now" so, i thought i may as well get something good.

asside from that, which memory size do u think is besT?

10. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

11. Mikedexter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Be safe and get the 64 its well worth it. I have about 10gb left here and there but even games, pictures/videos (mentioned above) take up a lot of memory. Also if u resell your in good shape! If u keep it and take care of it, it will last for a long time!

12. TechStooge thread starter macrumors member

which size did u have?

13. Grimsrud macrumors member

It's worth it to me, I used to limit the amount of video content I kept on my phone. Now I keep all of my favorite movies and Simpsons episodes on it at all times.

14. TechStooge thread starter macrumors member

you have the 64gb yourself?

any body else have an opinion?

15. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

I say go for 64. I like having lots of extra space to shoot pictures (2-3MB per jpeg) and video (about 150-180 MB per minute).

16. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

If you love watching Videos, I think it's worth it.

All my devices (iPhone 4S, BlackBerry PlayBook, touch) are 64GB. I know a lot who has 32GB and rarely watch Videos, not sure if it's the Small Display or they don't know to Convert or don't Purchase any.

I love watching on-the-go, even back in the day with the Sony W760i or iPod nano.

17. Shamrock13 macrumors newbie

Shamrock13

I like watching on the go as well, but recently, Netflix/Hulu has taken place of most of my videos. I don't really want to try and figure out the perfect settings to convert my videos for the device... Now, when the iPhone 5 comes out (hopefully with a 4" screen), then I would definitely take advantage of that.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I went for the 64GB option, knowing that I wouldn't need it but "just incase". I've had the phone since it came out, so what, 4-5 months? After this time, I am glad I payed the extra money. I have used about 28GB of the phone, from a few albums of music (i use lossless quality, so each album is 300MB+), about 30 apps (compared to the 300 on my iPad, this is very conservative of me), and a few videos for on the road.

My opinion is go for the 64GB. What's another $100? (angel).

19. TechStooge thread starter macrumors member

did u pay outright for it ?

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Yep, I wanted a particular (very good) BYO contract, it was $999AUD.

21. Shamrock13 macrumors newbie

Shamrock13

That's so much money to me. I wish I had a good job to shell out that cash.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I earn minimal wage, and work hard for my money. I had to save up nearly a year to be able to afford it! Same with everything that I buy. :)

23. TechStooge thread starter macrumors member

wow, i hope u got a good case for it for spending that kind of money!

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Save your money and get the 32GB. Take your gf/bf out for lunch or something;)

25. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I guess I'm the opposite of most people. I have a 16gig iPhone 4 and still have 10gig free. I use iCloud for my photos so all pics are downloaded automatically on my pc at home (and on photo stream). I usually delete them from the camera roll. I also stream my music from Spotify ($9.99/mo - which in a year would be about the cost of buying more memory) so I can play any song on demand without paying for albums or tracks either. Pretty good trade off for me.

If you ever are in a situation without data, Spotify has an offline option as well.