65,000 People Waiting For Green Day Sing Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jul 7, 2017.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Another one for Feel Good Friday. Congratulations, Freddie. You have made it!

http://www.thatericalper.com/2017/0...een-day-to-pass-the-time-away-they-sung-this/

BL.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Unfortunately for Green Day. They don't have any songs in their catalogue which can compete with Bohemian Rhapsody. Not many bands do.

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

For the most, I really can't argue..

I just find it absolutely amazing that Queen is probably the only band that can rock an entire stadium without even being there. :eek::D

BL.

4. adamneer macrumors 6502

I can only imagine how amazing it must have been to see Queen perform live. Green Day, meh, maybe would have been cool to see when I was in 7th grade...

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The lyrics of some Green Day songs I find alarmingly and obviously "all about me" for the situation being sung about.

Kind of like the couch pillow photo someone tweeted about one day, i.e., nothing at all wrong with the sentiment, but the natural response from a bunch of strangers is like "... and, so?"

WeirdForACouchPillowSentiment.jpg

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

True, but when you think about it, this is a band, along with Pearl Jam and a shadow of what is left of Alice in Chains, is the last holdout of the grunge era, with Green Day at the time being described as a second rate Nirvana with with the same amount of simplicity.

For me, there is no love lost for grunge.

I'll also admit that American Idiot was an good album. The timing of it was perfect, especially with what was going on at the time. But also at that point they went less punk, more emo, and that is the results of where they are.

To that effect, and you can see it in this video, Queen is basically their opening act. And if an opening act can get 65000 Londoners rocking out in a stadium without even being there, that makes you wonder how Green Day would fare if they weren't the main act to see.

Yes, I'm being a bit harsh, as they've been around for 25 years and longevity says a lot, but I've long since subscribed to the notion that music should contain more than 3 power chords.

Nonetheless, the above was a rather magical moment.. for Queen. ;)

BL.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Excellent points, post, and back references... I'll take Queen any day (and a few choice Pearl Jam tracks). :)