650m and 750m out of the woods?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbedia, Aug 3, 2014.

1. vbedia macrumors regular

After Apple upgraded their rMBP line this week, leaving the 750m untouched, I have been wondering if the current dGPUs are safe enough of not having a premature failure as in the infamous 2011 model.

On the other hand, as of today both cards has registered no serious problems (excluding throttle) among users. I would like to know other people's opinion on the matter. Thanks

2. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

My 750m's been fine after lots of gaming, X-Plane and video/photo editing.

3. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Uh.. If they were to fail constantly it would be a huge public issue.
    And as an owner of a 750m device it is indeed reliable.

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Are you planning on buying? Just go for it if you are.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

(so far)

The 2011's didn't start failing in significant numbers for a couple of years...

6. vbedia thread starter macrumors regular

I've just got one myself back in January. So far it has given me no problems at all. Absolutely a pleasure to do work on these devices.

I simply wanted to know what people think of the matter. As someone has stated so far so good.

Personally, I don't keep computers long enough to see them die, I try to sell them so the money I get back helps me buy the next one. That's why I might have sounded a little concerned.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The iMac has far better ventilation than the rMBP.

Anyway, Radeongate hit the 2011 MBPs around the 3-year mark.

At the earliest, if NVIDIAgate hits, it's going to appear only sometime in 2016-2017.

8. Freyqq macrumors 601

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

And I'm guessing Apple would have a program if it were to be mainstream?

I feel that if one of the Nvidia cards is to go early, it would be one of the more powerful.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

They would launch a repair program, if it meets one or more of the below, otherwise Apple would deem it too costly:

1. The GPU manufacturer's the one footing the bill.
    2. The card isn't soldered to the logic board.

In 2008, a program was launched for the 8600GT MBPs, because it was on NVIDIA's dime. Same story for the GT 330M on the 2010 MBPs.

In 2011, a program was launched for the Radeon 6970M in the 27" iMac, because the cards weren't soldered (they were connected via MXM slot).

Radeongate has hit the 2011 MBPs left and right, but no program is in sight, because it didn't meet one of those two criteria.

The criteria listed above are drawn based on my own conclusions, and aren't necessarily that of Apple's.

11. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Don't worry about it, and enjoy your machine.

If it were to surface years down the track that either one of these GPUs needed a recall, apple would issue one.

Basically you run this risk with any electronic product you buy, there is a possibility of a recall, heck you get it with cars :)

Just enjoy it.