667 TiBook memory bandwidth

Nonz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2002
I remember a few months back a discussion about the 667 Tibook's performance while running Logic Audio. The poster said the 500 TiBook ran more effects, tracks, etc. than the 667. Another poster said it was due to the memory bandwidth problems the first 667s had. Was this fixed when the combos later came out? I'm about to buy one and really need to know.

And yes I probably wait until WWDC.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: 667 TiBook memory bandwidth

Nope, it was not fixed when the combos came out. As far as I know, the combo drive PowerBooks are exactly the same as the ones they replaced (... except for the combo drives). Waiting for the new Powerbooks is a smart move - as an owner of the 550 combo, I can tell you that the current models are not worth their cost.

Alex

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
yo alex_ant, I have been waiting for months, saving my scratch for a powerbook. What is it about the current models that makes them not worth the cost?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
buffsldr, they are too slow, in my opinion anyway. $2300 for a machine that, with a 550MHz CPU and a gig of RAM, scrolls web pages like a 133MHz Pentium. Playing a simple MP3 in iTunes cuts down the system's speed by at least 20%, but of course you won't want to play any MP3s, or do anything that taxes the CPU at all, because you'll be afraid of that damned hairdryer-from-hell fan coming on. I don't think purchasing a new PowerBook right now would be wise, considering that the rev As are much less expensive and not all that much slower, and of course the fact that the new revisions are apparently coming soon.

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.