6GB of RAM being used in activity monitor with no apps open

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by getalexfr, Sep 22, 2014.

1. getalexfr macrumors newbie

getalexfr

Hi, I'm concerned that my MBP is running a bit hot.. often 36-40 degrees according to my Disk Drill temperature monitor. I'd really appreciate it if anyone would take a look.

I bought my 15" retina last year with 16GB of RAM, so things still work ok, but I am curious in case the current status is damaging to the computer. It seems to be too hot, and used to run in the late 20s temperatures.

And just to cover a basic question, the computer is lying on a flat wooden desk with no other heat sources nearby/direct sunlight. It has plenty of ventilation.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/710x566q90/r/540/QPsqMa.png

2. h9826790, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

The memory management looks normal to me. My Mac use much more than that, nothing to worry about. Mavericks can use lots of free RAM to speed up the system.

Untitled.png

On the other hand, if you are about the temperature. You should check the CPU tab to see if there is any software keep using the CPU and hangs there.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your memory usage is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Look in Activity Monitor in the CPU tab and sort by CPU% and see if anything is consuming high CPU cycles.

Taken alone those temps are not an issue.

4. getalexfr thread starter macrumors newbie

getalexfr

Ok, thanks guys for the input.

Nothing of interest in the Activity Monitor in the CPU tab, all chilled.

Will keep an eye on it. Possibly some recent software is affecting the drive temperature somehow - I'll try and test each new addition to see if it is the cause.

Still not mad happy about the 40 degrees drive situation, but I'm glad to hear nothing of immediate alarm in the activity monitor.

Ta,
    Alex