6s & 6s+ owners: How many years do you plan to keep your device? Anyone keeping it long term?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Nov 4, 2016.

?

How many years do you plan on keeping your 6s / 6s+?

1. 1

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. 2

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  3. 3

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. 4

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. As long as I can until it no longer works.

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I think I'll try keeping my 6s as long as possible until it no longer works :)

The 6s is such a great phone (supremely fast, great screen, awesome battery life, wonderful camera, does everything I need, etc) that I don't have that nagging urge to upgrade like I normally do.

As the battery gets worn down over the next 3-4 years I think I'll just get a $79 battery replacement through Apple and keep my 6s as long as I can instead of paying $650 for an upgrade that I don't really need.

Anyone else plan on keeping their 6s / 6s+ long term?

2. beernut macrumors 6502

Hell, I'd probably still have my 4S right now if it hadn't drowned. Damn I loved that device

3. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

The 7 is the first iPhone I haven't had since 2012. I'll get the 7S or 8 or whatever it ends up being; I just didn't find the 7 to be a compelling upgrade over my 6S. You're right, it's a great phone.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The 6s is probably one of the most bullet proof iPhones of the last three generations. Apple fixed a lot the issues the iPhone 6 struggled with. I actually kept my iPhone 6s Plus after I received my iPhone 7, being I liked it that much.

5. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

6S Plus here; had the 5 for exactly 3 years before that. The 2017 iPhone might be enticing enough to pay my NEXT balance, but I will most likely go 3 years again.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Two years as a primary phone.

Then it moves down, just like all the other phones we've had before it. We use them as media devices at that point and keep them either until they die or we can gift someone with a free phone.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's what I do. I kept my 6s Plus and use it in conjunction with my iPad Air 2. It's a great in between my Air 2 and laptop. Being my 7 Plus doesn't have the 3.5 Jack, I also use the 6s Plus for Music in the car, while charging it.

8. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Interesting thread, I am on the "s" cycle upgrade and last month I tried out a JB 7Plus for 2 weeks, then decided to return it and keep my 128GB 6S Plus for a 2nd year. Likely I will sell the 6S Plus when I buy next year's 10th anniv iPhone. By 2 years of use, the iPhone battery life noticeably shortens each cycle.

9. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Will keep my 6s until the 7s or 8 next year.

10. Domen151 macrumors regular

If the next years iPhone will be really something special, then I will upgrade next year. When I bought 6s a year ago I thought I would keep it for 2 years, but now I am seriously thinking about keeping it until 2018 iPhone, especially if they release ’just’ 7s next year. 7 doesn't interest me at all, I don't think I am missing out on anything.

11. MrInquestador macrumors member

MrInquestador

Will be keeping mine as a back up phone.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

At this point, I just get the best looking iPhone. I skipped the 6 series because I didn't like the way they looked. I have an iPhone 7 now and will keep it until a better looking iPhone comes out. The cameras, processor, screen quality, etc. are all incremental improvements at this point. If I had an iPhone 6s and didn't care about appearance, I definitely wouldn't have upgraded to the iPhone 7.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Judging by all the random shutdowns people are experiencing - not as long as I'd hoped.

14. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

I'll wait for the next "s" phone, whatever number it's called. Based on past history, "s" phones seem to be the ones to get.

15. sinanziric macrumors member

2-3 years, less in case there is a mayor improvement.

16. kamalds macrumors regular

It's sad to see some people upgrading to new iPhone for lame or no reason. I'll be keeping mine till it dies.

17. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

For me, its 3 years. I got my iPhone 6s in Nov 2015 and I'm hoping to get a Plus size iPhone X next year assuming Apple releases one.

18. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Yep, I'm getting the X this year, but this ^ is my "dream phone".

19. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Keeping it for as long as I can. Battery replacement is now $69 at my local Apple Store for 6s+. I might replace the battery after a year just for the heck of it, depends how much I use the phone in the next year.

20. DavidMc macrumors member

Passing mine down but I know I could keep it for another year at least if my son's 5 wasn't in such bad shape. If I have to buy a new device for someone it will be for me. Looking forward to the newer 8+ but I wouldn't have upgraded this year if his device was in good shape. I know it will serve him well for a few more years and now I know the cost of battery replacement, I might have to get that done in the future too as it is not holding a charge as well lately.

21. bambooshots macrumors 65816

22. Broadus macrumors 6502a

True, but a timely resurrection. One tech journalist loves the 6s so much that he was planning to stick up with the release of the 8 and X.

23. twdawson macrumors regular

twdawson

I have just bought my 6s just 1month ago, love the phone and won’t even bother upgrading it to iOS 11.
    It does exactly what I need it for with great battery life.