6s drowned. Can not live with 5s backup. New Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nostresshere, Jun 15, 2017.

  1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Dec 30, 2010
    Idiot here - washing pants with phone in pocket. Screen cracked and dead. Using an old 5s and have decided I can not live with it until new phone comes out this fall.

    a) hang with 5s - doubt that will happen

    b) Get 7 and upgrade at 12 month point. Not really finding any "sales" on them. I think ATT has a buy one, get one deal with various Directv package thing. Don't really need 2 phones.

    c) Target is selling new 6s with $200 gift card. Then decide if want to upgrade next spring, or stick with 6s.

    Was really happy with 6s and did not see much need to get the 7. Am I missing something?

    (option"C" looks best at this point.)

    Currrently on ATT group plan (4 phones)
  2. bufffilm Suspended


    May 3, 2011
    Get another 6s. It's a great phone that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

    Or join the others and play 'buy the current iPhone' and pay thru the nose every year.
  3. DaveOP macrumors 65816

    May 29, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Apple will swap it for out-of-warranty replacement cost, around $300.
  4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

    Stefan johansson

    Apr 13, 2017
    I would probably had used the 5s until fall,but I mostly use phone for calls and music playback.
  5. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000


    Sep 12, 2016
    It would make more since to have Apple replace the 6s for $300. Then when the 8 comes out buy it and sell the 6s for $250-$300
  6. matthew2926, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

    matthew2926 macrumors 6502

    Sep 13, 2013
    Just stick it out with the 5S. If you can do that, then you can get the iPhone 7S/8 when it comes out or the 7 or 6S at a cheaper price. If you have an iPad, try using things like call and text forwarding so that you don't have to use your 5S much.
  7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor


    Sep 21, 2012
    In the middle of several books.
    Matthew has the best option. Use your 5c until the new phones arrive. If you like one of the new phones, male the purchase. If you don't, you will be able to find a good prices on older models.

    Makes no sense to purchase a new phone if your intention is to buy the new version when it is released.

    Save your money.
  8. nostresshere thread starter macrumors 68030

    Dec 30, 2010
    Not sure the Iphone X will be any big upgrade ... or when it will really come out. I do not expect to have a burning desire to get the new phone as soon as released.

    By doing the NEXT plan, I would have the option to upgrade next June (or not), or stick with the 6s or 7 (depending on what I buy).

    Target currently has 6s with $200 gift card.
    Sams will have the 7 available on June 21 with a $150 gift card.

    So, either of those deals cover a decent portion of the first 12 months payments. I can then decided to keep what I have or upgrade next June.

    Target 6s : 12 months at $27.08 = $325 in payments. Take off $200 gift card and cost is then $125 for the year.
    Sams Club 7 : 12 months at $31.25 = $375 in payments. Take of $150 gift card and cost is then $225 for the year.

    The will of course be worth more, but I have marginal interest in actually selling vs just trading in. Yes, I know I could make more on a sale....
  9. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

    Mar 21, 2010
    You would probably like the 7 better than the 6S. Also better resale value.
  10. chilman macrumors regular


    Jan 2, 2011
    Yes it is hard to wait what seems to be near but it isn't. Because you need a phone that you feel comfortable and perform better than the 5S. The 8 scheduled for September but I doubt yiu can get your hands on til november the earliest. A huge back order will make it longer to get the 8. I think your option buying the 6S is not bad, it is cheaper than the 7, and if you like the 8 you can just swap without loosing too much money.
  11. nburwell macrumors 601


    May 6, 2008
    Is it the small screen on the 5s that you really can't do? Once you get adjusted to the screen, you may rethink your options.

    I would definitely say keep your 5s until the new iPhone is released. If you absolutely want a 6s/7, then you can:

    1. Out of warranty replacement for your 6s via Apple
    2. Buy used 6s/7 via Swappa

    I would still say stick with your 5s though.

Share This Page