6s plus out of warranty with battery shutdowns randomly (sure symptoms of replacement programme)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Jan 10, 2017.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

in the UK.
    6s Plus
    out of warranty
    The phone shuts down randomly even with 50% of power in the phone! The battery won't last a day. I have wiped the phone twice, started from fresh. It's definitely exhibiting random shutdown issues...BUT the iPhone serial is not showing it's eligible for replacement.

What can I do? I don't expect to buy a device and have it last for a year. It's defective but out of warranty, so I fear Apple will charge :(

Thanks for any advice.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Take it to Apple and have the diagnose what is wrong. It is free and you will know if it is the battery.

3. ericwn macrumors 68000

In the UK don't folks have consumer law protection for more than a year? If your diagnosis is true then the device is not fit for purpose.

4. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

I've not read of consumer law working for any apple issues but I can give it a go.

I'm quite sure it's the battery as the meter is jumping around too

5. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Best to take it in and see what they say. UK consumer rights helped me with my mid 2014 macbook pro purchased from Apple. The trackpad failed just after 2 years and when I took it to the genius bar they said they would repair it free of charge. Saved me nearly £300.

6. foxconn Suspended

It's not free of charge. The extra warranty is built into the cost of the machine

7. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

Following your logic, are all warranty procedures "not free of charge"?

8. Longkeg macrumors regular

Back in June (2016) I took my out of warranty 6+ to our local Apple Store because the battery was swelling and causing the case to separate. They explained that the battery carries a separate, longer warranty. They replaced the whole phone. I'm in the U.S. so I don't know if the same policy holds in the U.K. but I would definitely try to get to an Apple store and hope for the best.

9. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

thanks, inspiring confidence guys! I'll report back Monday!

10. foxconn Suspended

In a way, yes. But the reason I said it is because the "law" was mentioned. Yes Apple is following the law but products are also a little bit more expensive over there
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2017 ---
    I would have tried again. That's a fire/safety hazard.

11. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

Tried again?? They gave him a new phone. I'm thinking you missed that part...

12. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

This is the update:

Apple store diagnosed the phone and there were quite a few faults (logic board, etc) They said they cannot replace the phone in consumer law as it wasn't bought by them. It was bought by carphone warehouse.

Apple would have replaced it in accordance with consumer law but I'm reading around that Carphone warehouse are notorious for not adhering to this.
    Has anyone any experience with replacing and iPhone at CW?

13. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Your best bet is to go into CW and ask. You could ask Apple for a copy of the diagnostic report they did if they still have it. I don't have any experience with CW personally.

14. ericwn macrumors 68000

No experience here as well but it sounds like Apple gave you good advice. Consumer law makes the seller responsible, not necessarily the manufacturer. I'd recommend to read up on your laws and then contact the seller.

And of course: best success!

15. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

My wife's 6s plus has been having battery problems. Shutting down at 17%, wouldn't turn on, plugged in and immediately showing 35% charge. Took in to Apple Store (where it was purchased from) and they said battery checked out fine. They said it could only be the logic board, and since its (barely) past it's warranty I would need to buy an out of warranty replacement for $329. I've never had another iPhone die any where near this early before. What a disappointment.

16. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Welcome to business 101.

17. Sampple macrumors member

My wife's 6s does exactly this, not showing as part of the exchange program.

18. wezzel98765 macrumors newbie

We have seen lots of iphone 6S come in with the same fault, it seems that their batteries seem to have faults, even when they haven't been included within the battery replacement program. With batteries expanding and pushing the screen off the frame, and also batteries just shutting off early or not charging at all.

Iphone 6S also seem to be having more and more issues with U2 Tristar failure too

19. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

If anyone has any stories related to consumer law and carphone warehouse please share how it went.