6S to have 1GB of Ram 6S+ 2GB of Ram

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Aug 16, 2015.

1. metsjetsfan, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

I am feeling that this maybe a possibility. Most users cant tell. And power users can buy the 6 plus

Also apple can get to upsell the 6+ to more and improve margins even further. they can brag about the A9. if smaller battery size leaks are true it may make sense

No noted sources or anything just a feeling this will happen.

guess we wont find out till the teardowns.

yeah i know its been 3 generations since the 5 that has 1Gb and this would be 4 generations of phones if it happens

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

People have had similar feelings in various threads about this kind of thing. Anything is possible, but no one will really know until Apple announces something.

3. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

apple never announces ram right? can't remember if they did w air 2. i know they said the 3 cores tho

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm not even sure they'll bump the 6S Plus as iOS 9 works very well on my 6 Plus with backgrounding apps; it retains them much better than iOS 8.4 does. I still think it needs 2GB but I can see Apple waiting till the 7 Plus.

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I think that's a possibility as well, although I wouldn't be happy with it. Perhaps if they have the 6S the A9 and the 6S+ the A9X.

I personally think that the least they could do for the Plus and its premium price is make the base 32GB, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

I meant it more in the sense that once Apple announces the new device(s) then some real reviews and tests will start coming out exposing various component and other details.

That said, if they are going to differentiate devices on something I would expect them to cover that difference (be it size only, or some aspect of the camera or something else, or something internal, like RAM).

7. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

if they do they cansay the A9x for the 6 plus. like the previous poster mentioned

8. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

If the Plus has 2 gigs, that's great! I was already planning on getting the 6s+ anyways :)

9. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I'd be pissed for one.

I currently have a 6 Plus and my next device will be the 6S, if and ONLY if it has 2 GB of RAM.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I seriously doubt apple would invest in two chips it's not cost effective

11. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

good point but not if they can get the upsell -the extra ram on the soc is probably a dollar or two to them while they can sell for 100$ more. also i wondr if there is a shortage as well this was rumored as a reason for the skipping of the 32GB models.

12. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

Just going to say that, I'm pretty sure both iPhone 6 and 6S will have 2GB of ram.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Soc ram is next to nothing. Running two production lines to fab chips is $$$$$ so my money is on both models running the same chip with the iPads running an X variant

14. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

ironically the production lines to fab the chips is samsung(and a little TSM)

15. greenstumps macrumors member

greenstumps

IOS really needs 2GB of ram now, you can only have like 4 or 5 apps in a saved state in the background before you have to constantly refresh them and wait for them to load. I think they switch to the iPhone 6s having a 1080p screen, the 6s+ have a 1440p screen and both of them are OLED. Both the iPhone 6 and 6+ screens look way behind the competition, you can easily tell their resolution isn't up to part and you can see pixels. My friends both have GS6's and iPhone 6's, the iPhone screen looks so bad compared, Samsung have really reigned in the OLED tech.

The best thing about OLED is having that black and white battery save mode, having those black blacks which LCDs just cannot compete with and having things like being able to display a clock 24/7 since it uses next to no battery. I also love how with OLEDs, you can have different software modes for calibration that totally change the screen. So with the GS6 you can have basic mode which gives very good colour accuracy and then adaptive mode which can make the screen super saturated so it doesn't look washed out in the sun.

So I really think Apple have to make the leap over, OLED > LCD right now.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Just another rumor thread with a misleading title!

17. Merkie macrumors 68020

This.

18. SR71, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015

SR71 macrumors 68000

Completely agree with you on the switch to OLED. The fact that it was required for Force Touch on the Watch and that Force Touch was brought to the watch first and is now being brought to the iPhone leads me to believe that the Watch was Apple testing OLED and Force Touch on a smaller scale than with a massive iPhone launch so that they could work out any kinks with manufacturing the OLED and Force Touch panels.

Also, on the leaked iPhone 6S display panels there is only one flex cable as opposed to two for all past iPhone's. The only type of display that uses one cable are OLED displays. Lastly, the new dark wallpapers in iOS 9 seem a bit too coincidental to not be added there on on purpose for all new OLED displays.

Regarding the resolution bump, I've seen a few rumors that are saying the 6S will get 1080p and the 6S Plus will a 2K display, but those rumors haven't been corroborated by any reliable sources (like 9to5, WSJ, NYT, Bloomberg, etc.) so I'm still taking those rumors with a grain of salt although if they do end up changing the 6S/6S Plus to OLED along with a resolution bump then I will buy it (hell, I'd buy it just for OLED) solely for those upgrades/improvements alone. Everything else would be icing on the cake.

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure that I don't know a darn thing that is going to happen. Waiting for iFix it to tear it down later after release.

20. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

That's not really irony, just Apple outsourcing something that it doesn't want to do because Samsung and TSM are really effective at fabricating chips.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

By spending recklessly on 2GB of ram, Apple could jeopardize the survival of the company.

With Apple near bankruptcy, many of us can make do with only 1GB to help Apple survive :D

22. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh of course agree with that. More the irony that people complain galaxies all have 2+GB of ram. Yes i know samsung is a conglomerate and pretty much funded by the korean govt as well and many of the units dont talk to each other and work ind a vacuum for maximum profit

23. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I've heard this said before, and it may be a stupid question, but where is the source for the oft repeated "fact" that Force Touch necessitated an OLED panel? I may have overlooked something glaringly obvious, but I cannot find anything that says that.

24. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Apple expects to sell +90 million iPhones...they can't achieve this with "Force Touch" as the only major feature.
    But with OLED and 2 GB of Ram this will be easy ;)

25. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Gotta be the camera as well force touch alone wont get people to buy imo

Speed bumps is definitely not going get anyone outside of these boards to buy either.