6th gen Airport Extreme w/ 5th Gen Extreme in Bridge mode...above a microwave

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jtap, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jtap macrumors member

I recently purchased the new Airport Extreme to hopefully improve the Wifi coverage in my house. I've noticed before that in some areas my connection speed drops to about 2-5Mbs while as I move closer to the router these speeds drastically improve to about 55-65Mbs.

I was planning on setting up the new (6th gen) Airport Extreme in the same position as before (upstairs spare bedroom, where cable is coming in) and then using the old 5th gen AE in Wifi bridge mode.

However, the only two possible positions to place the old/bridge-mode AE is in a cabinet in a room directly below where the main router is located (not sure if this will do much for extending the range..). The other possible location is in a kitchen cabinet above a microwave. This location is very centrally located in the home, however I am worried about the interference from the microwave.

Am I correct in assuming that interference would only occur when the microwave is running? If this is the case, would this really affect anything since that particular router would be in bridge mode only?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes only when running.

I have 2.4GHz headphones and they cut out when I'm near the microwave, but only when the microwave is running.