6th Generation iPhone Unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan115, Mar 25, 2012.

1. AppleFan115 macrumors regular

What do you think is the chance that customers can go into the Apple Store on launch day and pick up an unlocked 6th Generation iPhone? And how many of you will get it? I think this iPad thing showed that they can pull of remarkable supplies at launch from now on.

And no, I don't want to hear about why one would want to buy an iPhone for $650, lol. I don't talk that much and I am always close to Wi-Fi. I think it's still a great value because you get a phone, iPod, Web browser, gaming device, video camera, still camera, and much more.

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Well, if the new iPad launch is any indication, I'd say the chances of one walking in to an Apple B&M store and acquiring an unlocked iPhone 5 are pretty darn good!! :)

I always buy un-subsidized, so I'm hoping it'll be easily available at launch!

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

4. AppleFan115 thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so, that would be awesome.

5. Federico macrumors member

Buy an AT&T off-contract and you will get an unlocked iPhone :D

6. jplusc macrumors 6502a

While the iPad had great demand I believe there is much larger demand for the iPhone so I don't believe you can make the same assumptions between the devices. I think the same goes for being available unlocked from day 1. There are no carrier subsidies for iPad's to complicate things, the iPhone is a much different story.

7. euphrus macrumors member

i think apple will be plenty prepared for the next iphone launch, similar to the ipad 3. I think most people (i know for me at least) will most likely buy one on contract rather than off contract because we are so used to the lower subsidized prices.

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Question, if you currently buy the phone unlocked from the Apple store, it's by default the GSM model, right?

This GSM model can be used with T-Mobile? All you'd have to do is cut down the SIM card? Is this true? Or would you have to go through the process of "unlocking" it to Tmobile (that whole shebang with inserting the ATT sim card first, then tricking it, etc. etc)?

9. AppleFan115 thread starter macrumors regular

All you have to do is go into a T-Mobile store, and they'll give you a micro-sim. That's what I did, it was very simple, no hassle.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's assuming that the next iphone will accept a micro-sim, or maybe a different type of sim currently proposed by Apple or no sim at all.
    Let me look in my crystal ball:D

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What are you basing that on?

The unlocked 4S came out in the U.S. 28 days after the locked 4S came out.

Might Apple eliminate that gap next time? Of course it's possible. But I find your absolute certainty a bit optimistic.

12. AppleFan115 thread starter macrumors regular

Of course nobody knows what the next iPhone will have... onthecouchagain was asking about the 4S. I don't really care about the the sim, as long as the next one has a better camera and even better battery life, i'm a happy camper.

13. onthecouchagain, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

What's all this stuff with the APN that they have to tune to get it to work with Tmo?
    EDIT: Nevermind. Read up a bit more on it.