7 Harsh Realities Of Life Millennials Need To Understand

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://thelibertarianrepublic.com/...e9LbOrJfznEQfDxmCbwTURcKo7LT7L9e4basVolI1twEM
    [​IMG]
    NOT ALL millenials are the same but IIRC even Obama called the out

2. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

3. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I can't believe I actually read that. I think the first comment in response to that article sums it up nicely:
    (From the comment section of the above article)

...and it was a garbage clickbait article. It should have concluded with the phrase, "Get off my lawn!"

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

guessing you prefer the way Obama put it?

5. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

Oh I agree with what Obama is saying, but he was responding to a question about policies in a few classrooms or on a few campuses that were on the extreme side. I work on a college campus with 16,000 students. Articles like the one you linked to push a narrative about college campuses that does not match the reality I see when I go to work. Yes there are people who are entitled, spoiled, and overly sensitive. And there are people who coddle them too much. Sometimes it even leads to bad policies being set, but that rarely happens. I've seen it outside of college campuses as well (the radio station that gave in to a listener's request to ban "Baby it's Cold Outside."

Most of the students, faculty, and staff I interact with every day are grounded, hard-working, and treat each other with respect regardless of how different they might be. Some of them are working while earning their degree, and I meet a lot of students who come from a very underprivileged background (I hire a lot of students who qualify for work study as part of their financial aid). I have seen the occasional struggle here and there with where to draw a line, and more often than not cooler heads prevail. Millennials aren't as bad as this article makes them out to be, and neither are college campuses. I'm afraid you would be disappointed by how poorly our campus and our students live up to your expectations.

6. bodonnell202, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Typical - this article talks about millennials as though they're all a bunch of spoiled teenagers with zero life experience. Fact is millennials currently range in age from 22 up to 37 and most of them are struggling with the same thing every generation struggles with - their careers, families and paying their mortgage/rent. Yes there are millennials that act pretty entitled but there are entitled people in every generation. Contrary to what we were led to believe the world didn't end when millennials entered the workforce.

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

39 by now at the far end, actually.

Teens today are Gen Z.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

"Older Generation Criticizes Younger Generation; Sky Revealed to be Blue"

I'm beginning to think that "millennial" has transcended its original generational definition for the moment and is now being used to refer to any liberal college student or "SJW" type, regardless of their age. It's entirely stereotypical, exaggerated, and has little relation to the lives of most of the millions of people born between 1980-1997 (I suppose being born in '98 makes me a very old Gen Z-er, but being born on the cusp of generations doesn't cause me to identify strongly with either). However, as a college student among some wonderful and brilliant people, I do feel an instinctive defensiveness when we're all maligned as hypersensitive adult-children with no ability to function in the world. I could go on a rant about the older generations screwing us over too, but I'll save that for another thread :)

An additional question, what comes after Gen Z? Does it go back to A, do we simply pile on the Zs with ZZ, ZZZ, etc.? Given that "post-postmodern" is a thing, I'm not optimistic about the naming of future generations.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I think instead of criticizing the age group, target the people you actually mean; entitled, college-campus liberals. I don't entirely disagree. What you see on a college campus is not the same as what you see in a retail store or a restaurant or a basic office job with people busting their ass to pay their bills and make sure they have a roof over their head or a car to get back and forth in.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This is what you get from a generation bathed in Purell, playing sports where there is no score kept as to not hurt anyone's feelings, and where everyone gets a trophy.

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Even if this wasn’t complete nonsense...wouldn’t that mean the parents of millennials are the ones at fault in your rant?

Who bought the purrell and trophies to force on the kids who couldn’t give less of a damn about them? :rolleyes:

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeap, we raised those ungrateful punks :(

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Who says I don't blame the parents? They are equally to blame in it.

The other issue is they are all "experts". Doesn't matter if they're talking to someone with 20+yrs of experience in a field, they know more. Because feelings have supplanted facts.

14. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

The master plan was laid out in this well-known sociological book:
    [​IMG]

15. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

I guess it depends on the cutoff you use. I was born in 1980 and am currently 38, but I always felt like I relates better to Gen X (I’m a latch key kid with classic Gen X cynicism) but I think I’m probably better described as a transitional generation with some characteristics of both (Xennials as we’re becoming known).

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Saw this a while back and thought it was hilarious..

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Alright guys, I’ll leave you to continue yelling at clouds.

I do find the notion that the youth is to blame for the state of the world when everyone in power is over 60, but I’m not break up this time honored tradition of living in a fantasy land.

We’re not the age bracket that’s convinced their entitled to a system that has utterly destroyed the world’s ecological system, but by all means carry on...

18. fuchsdh macrumors 65816

fuchsdh

Beyond that, the avocado-toast eating, safe-space wanting stereotype of millennials isn't even accurate in any way or form. It's a boogeyman (and an ironic one, considering as soon as conservatives receive backlash for their views they want safe spaces of their own.)

I've got plenty of issues with my demographic and age bracket, chief among them that the main reason we don't get what we want is because we don't vote. But that's not some quirk to millennials, it's a generational issue that's been going on since forever.

It's always a bit rich to have older generations talk down to millennials about "you can't get what you want" when the reasons millennials can't is because the older generations screwed it up beforehand.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

we have cookies & tamales here :D

20. jdclifford macrumors 6502

NOT YET!

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

If there’s no coffee I’m not interested :)

22. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

As a cusper between two generations (in my case Gen X and Millennials) I can relate to not identifying strongly with either generation. That said I think we put too Macy into this whole generation thing. I think college age kids do struggle a little more when they enter the workforce as our education system really doesn’t adequately prepare them for the real world, but most figure things out fairly quickly and their smarts quickly become an asset (at least in my line of work they do).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    If it does it will be because of the boomers desperately trying to cling to the past ;)

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Agree completely. I’m a baby boomer, and if you want to generalize and pick a group that acts like they’re entitled to things they don’t have, look no further than my age group. The resentment about being left behind by the current modern world that resulted in Trump getting elected wasn’t driven by millennials.

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Its fair to say that NOT everyone thats in the millenial group acts the same way because some of them are good people just trying to do their thing. Its also very fair to say that this millenial age group DID get more coddling, barriers removed and various other freebies that previous generations did not get. C'mon. When I played ball as a kid one team WON and the other team LOST. We didnt get anything for losing. If someone spoke words that bothered you you sucked it up and dealt with it. You got a job as a teen. You learned through hard knocks, not by having all obstacles artificially taken out of your way.

And political correctness didnt exist(thank goodness) either.

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

And yet a certain older generation got pensions and an economic model that allowed for raising an entire family off of one worker making a living wage....