Resolved 7 Plus gone wrong - chance of refund to buy another...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeob, Dec 14, 2016.

1. joeob macrumors member

So bought my 7 Plus MB a few days after launch. 13 days later my ear piercings slightly scratched the screen. I get a warranty replacement ordered in cus they had no brand new retail box phones to exchange mine with (being within the return period).

A month on and the the replacement (which I was assured was new new) has gone wrong so I've booked in for a Genius.

What I'd like to happen is refund (the product is faulty, so I could be entitled to one) so I can buy a Jet Black 7 Plus instead - now they're in abundant stock! I think they'd do that rather than warranty swap between finishes!

I know I won't know til I ask but I wondered if anyone had any similar experience - I know stores can be very flexible when they want to be...

2. Applejuiced, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not going to happen. They're not going to refund you your money and allow a return passed the original return period. And they dont do warranty swaps with different device options. You will get the same model, color and storage capacity as the one you're handing in.
    They were nice enough to let you swap out scratches that you caused on the glass screen with diamond earrings. They didn't have to do that.
    What has gone wrong a month later with the replacement device and its faulty?
    A replacement device days after release day would be obviously brand new.
    You think within a few days of release date Apple would have got that phone returned by a customer, shipped it back to the factory to get it refurbished, completed the process and then shipped it back to the Apple store and packaged it in a white box for a refurbished replacement for you?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like Apple has already done enough, seeing that you damaged your phone and they were nice enough to replace it. You have not told us what has "gone wrong" with the new one they gave you but knowing you want now a different model . . . . .

Worst is the OP sees nothing wrong with this.:(

5. noobinator macrumors 601

Sell it on Swappa then buy the one you want. You may lose a few bucks but that's the price of indecision/poor decisions.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Being that it's 2 month out since you got it, very unlikely that Apple allows a return for a refund. I'd say sell it on Swappa and get a new one.

7. joeob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your posts. Just to clarify...

- my studs are not diamond. The Apple Store Manager agreed a £819 phone, designed to be held up to ones ear shouldn't scratch that easily and ordered a replacement no questions.
    - the iPhone's receiver is knackered. I have to use headphones to use the phone.
    - I said "could be entitled" to [a refund] as the phone is faulty - faulty goods get refunds.

So that sorts that.
    And the remark about colour was purely speculative, I'm not bothered, certainly not enough to trade-in privately.

However, I won't be commenting here again, or participating in forums after the assumptions and tone of the comments made. Shame people with a shared interest in these products have attitudes that stink.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesn't really matter what kind of jewel/stone was on the earrings.
    A £819 phone and any glass surface can scratch. No glass is scratch proof.
    Again they did you a favor, such cosmetic wear is not covered under warranty.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

9. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm sorry you feel that way about these forums. While you feel the attitudes stink sometimes it's good to get the opinions of how others perceive the matter, I prefer people to be blunt and for some it may come across as harsh; to each his own I guess.

In this scenario it seems to me like Apple has provided some good customer service to you as they replaced the device once already for cosmetic damage that you admitted to causing due to your ear piercing. I am fairly confident that Apple will take care of you in obtaining a working device, but I would be incredibly surprised if they exchanged the color for you.

Good luck to you and hopefully Apple will fix the issue with the replacement iPhone.

10. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

When it comes to tone, it's like that in every forum.
    Keep your phone. It doesn't hiss right?