7 reasons millennials are the worst generation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jun 16, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/03/7-reasons-millennials-are-the-worst-generation/

So? You lot had Reagan and the disaster he brought ot his country, which even his vice president called "voodoo economics". Another entertainer and republican, Arnold Schwazenegger, also got elected. Jesse Ventura also won -- all show how entertainment types don't make the best politicians, but only now we whine because Colbert might be left-leaning. Nice double standard, Desouza.

Yeah, Boomers know them all. NOT. Can't believe Desouza is trying to make a rational point over such nothing, especially since people in other states can't vote for these people everyone is supposed to know.

And it's not generation- specific, we all know we loathe congress as a whole but adore our individual reps -- if they have the same party designation.

Wanna see a voting record? Discuss this, Desouza: http://www.ontheissues.org/SenateVote/Party_2005-63.htm

Hah! With increased college costs and jobs that pay less compared to the past, and how damn good boomers had it... oh, the "paycheck to paycheck" thing has been said in the media for a couple of decades. Did the millennials have problems with money in their diapers too?

So who told them vaccinations are wrong? Nobody believes this out of thin air. Except Brietbart's writers, it seems, based on these and other points they raise which are quickly torn down by useless things called "facts". Everyone remembers what Reagan said, "facts are useless things"?

Ever ask why? No, of course not.

Because it's cool or an emotional release? As a conformist form of rebellion? Did boomers ever smoke? Or generations before them? What ingredients existed in cigs when they smoked and what's different now?

Hippies were called lazy as well. Maybe they're just pissed and playing the projecting blame game, yet again. After offshoring jobs, automating work, devaluing work, and everything else the media has presented over the years. Even TV shows in the 1960s and 70s discussed these issues as issues, not blaming the kids and the boomers, especially hippies, hated it?

That didn't stop Barney the Dinosaur's boomer comrade from getting rich off selling the messages you seem to hate. Can't have it both ways.

Dinesh DeSouza does much one-sided entertaining, for a living. Compelte with a BA in useless liberal arts (English). Such a valueless degree, and a valueless profession he works in - that adds nothing to the economy - yet he manages to make so much in return for doing little, and any web search will refute his points very quickly. He might want to look up causation as well, for which he would find his own generation responsible, while trying to shift blame and say everyone else has a choice while outright ignoring his generation's encouraging and manipulation. Which also happens to be typical boomer incapability to accept responsibility, as the hippies were all known for!!!!

Even more, since this article is mostly backhanded empty apologies trying to play the blame game, do boomers have no integrity whatsoever?

http://www.dennisprager.com/baby-boomers-owe-americas-young-people-an-apology/

How so? With a gun to kids' heads?

So far, so good. Today's kids were deprived of material want, and need. We eliminate and devalue jobs so parents have to work more to make a living (even then that doesn't always work out) so kids are also deprived of family time. Even if the boomer parents did nothing more when they were in their prime watching TV and treating their kids like poodles.

Okay, so good until the exaggerated death scares - either that is his first bankhanded bull or the issues of the time were legitimate and people did what they thought was best (note the inclusion of a new theme, folks...)

This is going to get good - how much longer before the real backhanded insults and projecting come in?

Dang, that sounds sincere and I accept his apology on this issue. Their rebellious tone of not trusting older people was a point, but considering how the makers of Woodstock were also trying to rip them off (google it, but Cracked has a great article spelling it out...) Still, not all were lured into that cesspool-with-music. A lot of people were more decent back then.

Well, war is bad. Nobody likes it. The question is why and the question is when. After WW2, Korea, and during Vietnam, Americans were weary of so much at once since it was somewhat unprecedented. Yes, communism was seen as bad at the time (40 years later, now it is embraced... but for which reasons?)

I think enough people knew at the time how phony-baloney John Lennon was, he was why punk got created and legends like Elvis Costello tore Lennon a new one when saying stuff like "Imagine a song about having no possessions that could only be written by a millionaire". Granted, if they knew what a bar thug wife beating child abusing homophobic mentally ill-bashing jerk that was no trendsetter he was he would never he would never become the most ironic icon in the symbol of humanity. Imagine anyone like Lennon being bigger than Jesus - truly scary.

Or the silent/greatest generations should have let Hitler one? Yeah, nice backhanded apology there Mr Prager...

True. Herpes and other STDs were contained until the free love movement. Thousands of fyears ago, emperors created anti-kissing laws and religion was harsh on sex acts because there was no medical industry and without understanding things they basically said "the devil created it, but anyone found to cheat or not be a virgin or this or that should be killed". Lots of Christians have no clue what's fully written out in Leviticus, Deuteronomy, etc.. (yes, I'm late to the party but am becoming evangelical...)

Don't forget raising raw eggs and having to keep them with you and never losing them or squishing them because, you know, that's a baby.

But talking of the acts and not discussing the interpersonal relationship and having consideration for a partner's well being is what was missed out on in the sex ed classes. Somewhere, somehow, some narcissist or sociopath decided that ignoring giving a damn about the one you're with is okay. But boomers did not always teach themselves, but they - to an extent - might have rejected what was taught, innocently rather than maliciously. Still, that's supposition. The fact they became the reaganites and the "meeeee generation" in "the decade of greed" (1981-present) shows it took a long time for anyone to consider apologizing. Still, it took decades for many women to accuse Cosby of the rape they endured, psychology can be a horrible thing if one has to feel silent. Is this the opposite of freedom?

Well, MTV, et al, brought in the money. That's all that was wanted. Like I said, decade of greed. But old people ironically set up Woodstock to exploit you with, so you learned some from the past...

Wait, earlier you said about your generation growing up without material want and other related things...

Certain types of pain are life and legitimate. Not all...

That's not pain. That's tallying records for a game. Quite a difference. Most millennials I work with seem to know there's a difference about earning... So it's becoming a shallow cliche, about trophies to all. Surprised people still readily believe the shtick. Pavlov would be proud.
    Do the boomers who lose their life savings (their "trophy") every time the market they helped create robs from them (stock selloff by those who have far more shares than they ever will) take it in stride or do they just blame millennials for it all, too?

Dang, something else of 100% genuine substance. Most of us graduating who got jobs have seen how badly we (who went back to college, which includes millennials, x'ers, and boomers too!) have been ripped off and no ability to get justice. Along with automation of fwork, and offshoring (cited the poor education of American workers and yet you guys still do nothing except blame us for being bad spenders, or lazy if we didn't spend to get the degree... catch-22, damned either way, so forgive us for having fair angst over how bull the system has become.)

Um, they still teach that in 2015. Even in college for Associates and higher degrees.

Yes, we know about the sad reality of STDs you guys unwittingly allowed to flourish. Because it was all about you and never not taking advantage of others for a quick jolly.

Peace is okay. War, as appropriate, is okay. Nobody likes war but for the sake of ALL in the society that the military exists for, let's remember that.

Global warming/climate change may or may not be accelerated by mankind. Wanna talk about something tangible and incontrovertibly real, like pollution?

Hmmm, anti-smoking was big in the 1960s-1980s. What caused the turnaround? Or why?

I'm sure they saw the movie "Amadeus" as shown to them during a church camp event. Besides, Beatles have been the In thing nd boomers they are...

Stalin is dead. Communism, which he and China represent, no longer exist. Otherwise company board members like Al Gore wouldn't be as keen on setting up and moving operations to "formerly communist but still keep the title 'communist' anyway" countries...

But Al Gore appreciates the profit so he can keep his huge mansion powered and heated at $20k/mo or whatever it was.

So encouraging and manipulating are okay. Especially to people who don't know any better. Typical shifting of blame like what drug and alcohol addicts tend to do. Typical boomer attitude. Apology not in the slightest accepted, Mr Prager. Your phonies reeks through like reefer this time.

That's out of left field. But, back in the day, one worker could sustain one's self, one's spouse, and even a child. It's nowhere near like that anymore. That's the difference you seem to ignore and it, and its tangential but relevant aspects, are all part of it.

True, but you kept electing people who kept doing the same stuff. Even voting to keep the same folks in charge despite it all. Was there a bait and switch? "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice", right?

And you're right, you won't change your minds but still shift blame and make everyone else pay for what YOU set up, getting off scot-free as usual. Typical projecting, typical addict behavior in what is supposed to be a team society - at least until you wanted all and discarding everyone else like used fruit rinds. No wonder Bernie and Donald and other "anti-establishment" figures are popular. YOU made their popularity happen. Listen to them, maybe the future can still be good. I've no qualms with establishment figures - name me a name, Mr Prager, and I will respond with something positive. Be it Paul, Clinton, Trump, Sanders, name a name, Mr Prager, and I will return with a positive attribute. Of course, you're not reading this and if fyou did respond I might not see it... :(

50/50, some of it had the feel of truth, and some of it was so obvious that it's amazing you dared to try.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Why even acknowledge a "breitbart" article? That site is straight up trash.

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Seriously, Breitbart is a rag. There's nothing wrong with Millennials. Older generations better learn to deal with us because we're gonna be around longer than them. :D

In general though, every generation has always thought the younger one is lazy and lacks purpose and blah blah blah. They seem to forget who raised them.

4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Millennials are one of the all-time great generations. Fought two wars, suffered the second-worst economic collapse ever, and are still building and creating stuff like iOS.

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Millennials aren't building anything except piles of dirty laundry in their parent's basement.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

hey hey...im building piles of dirty laundry all over my apartment...not my moms basement.

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Haters gonna hate

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You know you can get a hamper for like 15 bucks at Target, right? ;)

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

More bong water from Breitbart.

Yeah, we all get it, millennials are stupid and awful—says a member of Generation X which was so accurately summed up by "Reality Bites."

I'm using those to make blanket forts.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

But that takes all the fun out of it...:D

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Being born in '79, I could be considered either the last of the Gen X'ers, or the first of the Millennials. So in response to the above, I say HOW DARE YOU! This is yet another example of the cisgendered white patriarchy forcing their opinions on...eh, screw it.

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Millennial kids are simply a reflection of their upbringing. Some were coddled and are in for a life of victim hood.

15. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I learned it by watching you, Dad. I learned it by watching YOU!

16. bent christian, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Stephen Colbert for president? Never heard Millennials talk about that.

How about a reality television star? FOR REAL.

That is the Baby Boom generation.

I was born in '76, so yeah, I'm only four years out from the oldest Millennials. We live a very comfortable life with one child almost no debt.

It is very easy to pick on younger generations. They haven't had enough years on this earth to fully build the legacy that will define them. It's the easiest thing in the world to do.

We heard the same garbage in the 1990's about Gen-X.

Those Baby Boomers who criticized us? LOL, let's take a look:

Reagan/Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush, NAFTA, DOMA, unprecedented and gluttonous use of natural resources, two on-going occupations of the Middle East, rounding it all out forming the Tea Party and the ultimate narcissistic extension of that: Donald Trump for President. They voted to send their own jobs overseas and are now complaining because they can't pay their mortgages. Duh.

You guys have done AMAZING in this world. Seriously, pat yourselves on the goddamn back. You are a ****ing joke.

17. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

But only Moms-of-Millenials (MoMs) are actually capable of buying those Target laundry hampers.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Breitbart.com (conservative agenda driven site) holds no sway over me and I'm a baby boomer. The Meliennials will get their chance to be a success or screw it up too. :)

19. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I was born in 83 and this article is triggering my delicate millennial sensibilities so hard!

No, not really.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

My parents came to hate that PSA while I was growing up. Every time they'd make the mistake of asking me what I was thinking or where I learned to do something so stupid, I'd repeat the above.

To this day, I still wonder why they never shipped me off to the orphanage.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's a volunteer army today. Try getting yanked off the street, thrown in boot camp, and then shipped overseas to storm a beach you know you have a 50/50 chance of getting your head blown off.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2016 ---
    I grew up and was raised on "Do as I say, not as I do".

22. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Typical boomer mentality. Boomers start two wars, millennials go fight both at the same time while also policing the entire planet, shouldering immense college debt, figuring out how to keep the lights on by a boomer started recession and all the boomers can say are things like "back in my day when you had to get drafted to go to war".

At least we volunteered for it instead of draft dodging and crying about the whole thing. WW2 era is probably the greatest, followed by this generation. Boomers were the absolute worst.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

WWII might've produced the Greatest Generation, but that doesn't mean that extreme times always produce stoic people. In contrast, WWI gave us the Lost Generation, who were regarded as being pretty lackadaisical and nihilistic.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's interesting, so I liked the video and was curious to see who made it, and I discovered that the video was "a parody that opened a talk at the Church Leaders Conference encouraging people to see past the stereotypes and recognizing [sic] the unique potential that millennials have..."

I agree. In the mid-90s it was all the rage to talk about Generation X as being selfish and callow, but Gen-X has grown into its own powerful and flawed generation. And, I expect Generation Y, otherwise known as the Millennials, will operate similarly.

And, really only the Baby Boomers would have the gall to hammer at either generation as being callow and selfish, when it was the generation that took the post-WWII boom and squandered it.

For instance, from 1948 to 1973, productivity and wages were roughly connected. As productivity rose 97 percent, wages rose just over 91 percent. From 1973 to 2013, productivity rose 74.4 percent, but wages only rose 9.2 percent.

And, this happens even as college tuition has increased over the last three decades by dramatic amounts, and the value of a high school education has dropped 15 percent. In other words, college education is more necessary, even as it becomes more expensive.

Meanwhile, in 2009 the Department of Defense noted that the average age of a soldier or Marine in Iraq or Afghanistan was 27 years old—meaning that a large percentage of the force was made up of Gen-X and Millennials.

In fact, while Boomers had to deal with Vietnam, they also as a generation got 26 years of peace. But, for the oldest Millennials, 9/11 was just three years after their high school graduation, while the youngest grew up in a country continuously at war.