7 TB fusion home built fusion drive in 5k iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tanker5, Oct 18, 2014.

1. tanker5 macrumors member

I know this sounds crazy, but I would like to purchase a 5k iMac with the 1 TB flash storage option, and then open it up and install a 6 TB hard drive. Then, I would like to use terminal commands to make my own 7 TB fusion drive A 7 TB fusion drive would allow me to fit all of my media files without the need for an external drive (except for a backup drive). I have built fusion drives before using Terminal commands and have upgraded iMac computers in the past and am pretty tech savvy. I know this will void the warranty. Can this be done?

2. leenak macrumors 68020

I'd read the iFixit review and if you feel comfortable opening it up... I'd just say good luck :)

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I'm guessing you'll end up with a large service bill from Apple.

4. hfg, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I don't see any technical problems doing what you want to do given the available information at this time. Be advised, however, that since this was a SSD only build, your machine will be missing the hard disk mounting and cable parts, about $150 to procure. There are other threads here which show the brackets and cables needed to add a SATA hard drive to a SSD only iMac.

This link may help:
    http://applecomponents.com/?search_within=1&p=all_items&last_cmp=0215&last_cat=&s=hard+drive

Personally ... I would not do this!
    I would not put a hot, noisy, failure prone hard disk inside my iMac. I would do it externally over Thunderbolt.

Good luck, and post your progress and experience here.

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Yes sounds like an incredible intelligent idea. :rolleyes:

I modded many of my previous macs - but would not do this to the rMBP or new Imacs - not worth it. In the end of the day this is your machine, and your money - but really what gain will you receive - assuming you mange to open the mac, install the components and make the necessary software mods!

Why not get a PCI-e 500gb ssd (internal) - this is higher capacity and typically from previous experience faster than the 128gb on the fusion; then run an external TB like peagaus raid, lacie little big disk, etc. the performance will outmatch any cookbook experiment of a fusion-drive you could ever muster.
    Alternatively, if cost is an issue stay with 256 internal ssd and get even get an external 3tb WD black, over usb this is still pretty darn quick.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I don't think the risk is worth it, over having an external drive hidden under the table connected through Thunderbolt2.

7. tanker5 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah -- probably not the smartest idea. Probably won't have the guts to try it anyway. Maybe i"ll just stick with my external drive for my media library. I still dream of the day when an "all-in-one" computer can truly be "all-in-one".

8. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502