7 TB IMAC 27" UPGRADE, seems to be going great so far has anyone else tried this yet?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Michael Burke, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Michael Burke macrumors newbie

7 TB IMAC I7 UPGRADE . In relation to installing new hard drive( 2011 i7 27" ) & placing solid state drive behind the ODDrive.Just for information a few days back I replaced the original 1TB Seagate drive with a 6 TB WD green and placed a 1TB Samsung ssd behind the optical bay. I used the OWC kit for each. I am not an expert and it was the first time I have attempted iMac surgery, I must say it was easier than suggested but watched the OWC videos about 20 times first.. Secondly just to be safe I have also purchased the Tunabbelly temperature gauge app which gives 28 different temp sensor readings. This appears to to be very useful as I can see other readings such as the power supply which can be a great source of heat in an iMac 2011 . I ran it for a few days but as I am unaware of the true temp parameters for things other than the hard drive I have also installed the HDD fan controller software which seems quite flexible in adjustment parameters. Before using HDD the fan was not running too fast but just in case something else was causing excess heat i thought it better to play safe and use HDD as an extra precaution. I don't know of any one on the net with a 7 TB combined drive to date. I have 2 X 16 TB Promise Back ups for my photography but was forced to increase my internal & would nearly fill the new 8 TB but will install that lf all goes well here . I failed to say in my last post it is running super fast all seems well . My only questions is waht is the normal operating temp for the power supply? as this is seems to get up to around 75 C after several hours of use or when using heavy applications ? If anyone else has tried this let me know how your going.

2. CaptainWD macrumors newbie

CaptainWD

Hey there Michael Burke,

Good job on the upgrade, that looks amazing! :eek:
    I've found a link to Apple's discussion where people have shared their temps from the whole system. Here it is: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3484579?tstart=0 :apple:

Hope this helps, :)

Captain_WD.

3. Michael Burke thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Temperature Perameters please someone ???

Thank you Captain WD. I had a look at that site and I should have mentioned I had reset the SMC and Pram when I first installed the drives as although the HD wasn's running to fast it seemed a erratic and the resets may have helped as but as I also downloaded HDD fan control at that stage its hard to say. All is going well and eventually I will try to use the new fusion drive software with it to take more advantage of the SSD. I am realy happy with this Model Imac but still hoping some one out there could please provide me with the factory temperature Parameteers as everyone just seems to be guessing??????.Good luck everyone with your projects.