7+ to X - best strategy to capitalise on 7+ resale values?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by olisones, Sep 15, 2017.

1. olisones macrumors regular

I'm a yearly upgrader - currently have a 7+ which I will sell for an X next month in the UK. As the release cycle has been split this year (8 and X with 6 weeks in-between) I wonder what other forum members will do to capitalise on current recycle/resale prices in order to get the best value for your current model before buying the new handset. Do you:

a) sell/recycle your current model and use a different handset for the six weeks in-between or
    b) wait and sell your current model when the X comes and risk losing some value on the current handset?

Any thoughts on this?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Highest price would have been months ago on the 7+

3. profets macrumors 601

I’m in the same boat. I have it listed for sale and a 6s to drop back on if needed.

If I get a decent offer I’ll likely sell now and use the 6s in the meantime.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Too late. Price has already dipped. I sold mines last month lol

5. olisones thread starter macrumors regular

Trouble is I don't have a back up handset, so it would mean either getting a cheap model (an SE or suchlike) to bridge the gap. Best price at the moment is £457, which is still a fair amount.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Supply and demand.

The demand is sinking, the supply is going through the roof, so that means iPhone 7 prices are sinking. I'm actually waiting for them to go down even further. Right now they're in the high 400 mark, but since Apple is selling the iPhone 7 (non plus) at 550, I can see there's more room for lower prices :)

7. olisones thread starter macrumors regular

Waiting for them to go down for what reason? To pick up a 7?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, that's one of the options I'm looking at.
    But a:
    • New iPhone 8 $700
    • New iPhone 7 for $550
    • Used iPhone 7 for $400 or so

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

What's the outgoing price for iPhone 7 plus 256gb jet black?

10. olisones thread starter macrumors regular

£469.50 currently on the compare sites.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    My usual route is to sell my current model on a recycle site (faffing with eBay is always a pain) and then put that cash towards the new model. However, with the X being £1149 here in the uk, the maths isn't as pretty. For example:

7+ 128gb = £475
    X = £1149

Total cost: £674

That's betting on the current prices of recycle sites staying the same, which they won't. So I could pick up a 'burner' SE as it were and get rid of that, but it still eats into the concept of the whole thing...!

11. profets macrumors 601

Ahh. In that case I would just use it until the new phone arrives. I usually do that, but this past year I didn't sell the 6s as the speaker stopped working on it, and figured it would be handy to have as a backup.

12. n20nine macrumors regular

Just sold my immaculate condition 7+ 128GB Black with a case and screen protector on it for £540.

13. brianxhopkins macrumors newbie

Where are you guys looking for used iPhones? I would be sketched out buying on eBay, I feel like you're asking to get scammed when buying an iPhone there.

I'm looking to get a used 128gb Verizon 7+.

14. solo118 macrumors 65816

Swappa is best

15. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

Have it unlocked and sell it to someone, not to a company.

16. comptr macrumors 68000

Well I have been looking, based on my area looking at Craigslist, Offer-up, Let-go & Ebay it seems my phone, a Verizon 7+ 256gb JetBlack with Apple Care +, Otter Box Case & Zagg Glass Shield it will go for around 750.00. It may seem high but in my area there are few iPhone 7+ for sale and Zero Jet Black Phones for sale. I wonder though if I wait till October if I will make less. I want to wait till around October 15 to sell it because I still owe some money on the phone via the carrier so I can't pay it off till then.