7 wounded in mass shooting near Chicago playground

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 4, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I think it's seen more as some kind of deflection, with the horrible things that have gone on this weekend.

Or maybe I missed all the other threads about Chicago's doings in the past year?

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Deflection from what?

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Yes, exactly.

7. Altis macrumors 68030

In what world would posting about another mass shooting, following two others, be a deflection? o_O

It's very strange to think that there's some you'd want to focus on while talking about others somehow "deflects" from your argument...

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

So you have nothing again? It shows

9. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

If there were seven dead people it would be all over the news.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Tons of dead in Chicago. Liberal news doesn’t care if it doesn’t push their agenda

12. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Oh that’s all it takes? And I seriously doubt it unless you’re watching Fox News. We can ignore the deaths that happen in that city everyday because it’s black on black crime. I believe that’s why you won’t hear about it. It’s not “Trumps followers” committing these shootings. So who in the hell cares?

13. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

But you care NOW about Chicago? Not anything that's happened earlier before this, in the last year? Your last concern for the lives of anyone in Chicago for a thread was two years ago. Yet suddenly this weekend you regained your concern for the people of Chicago.

Interesting.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. S . :rolleyes:

15. Altis macrumors 68030

I've always been concerned about Chicago, but nobody talks about it for obvious political reasons. The fact that you want to discuss gun violence but only in the context of certain events speaks volumes. The fact that Chicago is like this all the time should make it a far greater priority over one-off events, yet here you are trying to avoid it -- while actively promoting the other threads. How very, very telling.

Me, I'm concerned about solving the problems that lead young men to commit acts of violence. This includes looking at and addressing such issues as fatherlessness, cycles of violence, isolationism, poverty, and so on.

Why do I not see discussions on this? Why is there no discussion on the issues facing these people that lead to violence? Why is it always about the means? (Except where it isn't, such as when other methods are used, or when it simply is not politically desirable).

16. Rogifan, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m talking about all at once. If somebody shot up a playground and killed seven people at once it would be all over the news.
    Well the guy in Ohio wasn’t a Trump follower and that’s all over the news. Again, if someone opened fire on a playground and killed 7 people it would be news, especially if it happened this weekend. You’re right though that violence in cities isn’t typically covered by national media unless is a mass shooting with many fatalities.
    So you’re saying if the shooter in El Paso was black and the majority of the 19 people he killed were black CNN would be ignoring it?

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No. I talk about gun violence when it becomes a subject of conversation here on PRSI.

There hasn't been a thread about Chicago in almost two years, yet there have been shootings since then. It just seems unusual that this weekend, and say not during July there was a thread started. I perhaps missed yours, since your great interest. Chicago isn't the only place in the world where such things happen, I do know it's selectively picked for a variety of reasons though. So maybe there were the threads you started with your genuine concern for... blah, blah, blah, blah.

There's been talk of dealing with Chicago, from it's local gov't, to a president who talked to some guy on a motorcycle who could fix everything. So it's just been talk, and people are still dying.

But I don't need to tell you that, you're already concerned about Chicago.

I'm sure there will be many threads about Chicago now.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am already on those threads, if I was AVOIDING the threads it would be a different story......

19. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

20. Altis macrumors 68030

Why would people start threads about Chicago? They'd be endlessly repetitive, and of course, most people don't like to talk about daily occurrences -- not as captivating, I suppose.

You make a great point about selective reporting and outrage. People will be all upset about these two shootings that are occupying the media full-time now and for the next bit. Meanwhile, plenty of other tragedies happen every day that oddly won't warrant the same -- very curiously, indeed. Lots of very important stuff neglected to be covered

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

This wasn't a mass shooting. This was a gang shooting, which some shot back. And it wouldn't even be considered a mass shooting if the two recent tragedies never happened. Nothing more than media sensationalism.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

ANYTIME more than 2 get shot it's a "mass shooting" according to liberals.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

According to what liberals?

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604