7 year-old girls perform 'Single Ladies' - Art or Disturbing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., May 14, 2010.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

YouTube link

IMO, this is way to sexual for a bunch of 9 year-olds.

EDIT: They are actually 7 YEARS OLD!

The link has been fixed.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yeah, I think there's a problem with that. Any parent who would let their 9 year old daughter dress like a stripper and writhe around on a stage like that has some issues. Also, has anyone realized that that video is going to be watched by thousands of pedophiles? I think it needs to be taken down asap.

Don

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

From the beginning: yeah, does seem like a bit too 'adult' for them.

After watching more of it: they're doing a pretty darn good job.

At the end: goes to watch Little Miss Sunshine.

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Seriously they're only seven!? That's just outrageous. I think child protective services need to get involved in this situation, these girls are obviously being raised in questionable surroundings.

Don

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this is just awful.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I agree it seem way to sexual for girls that young but for 7 years olds those girls do have some pretty good dancing talent. J
    Good movie.

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Makes you think

About those of us that were either intrigued, perverse, or sickened at such a title that you aught to ponder what WTF is "single Ladies"?

Personally I was none of the above - nor watched the video like those of you above; I simply thought it was some diddler lookout alert.

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well

Lets get a big THANKS for
    -E!
    -Us Weekly
    -Entertainment News
    -MTV
    -NBC
    -Fox
    -etc....

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

on another note, i think it is impressive what those little girls did.

i don't think, if i were 7, that i could ever find enough dedication to learn the dance moves and do it that good.

i don't think it is fair to blame only the parents. i guess you could say, that beyonce promoted that song, video etc. it is a catchy song. it is being played on the radio, tv etc.

you can't really blame the girls, wanting to dance like her. this could be up for debate but i would rather have my kid dancing and doing something, than just sitting at home watching tv or doing something unproductive.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I hate when people blame TV for this. It's 100% the parents responsibility on what their kid watches and does. If something is too sexual for their kid, the parent needs to turn it off and tell the kid no when they want to do something like this.

While I do think Americans are too uptight about sex, the human body, etc, this is clearly inappropriate. They have talent I will give them that though.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I have a problem with the fact that these little girls are dressed in almost nothing. This is all on the parents, they have the power to say no.; which they should have. They could take ballet or something, instead of dressing up like skanks and dancing in a sexually provocative manner. Those little girls are not safe around parents that let them go and do things like this.

Don

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Impressive yes.. I couldn't even imagine dancing like that.. definitely not at 7 yo. On the other side of that coin.. MY daughter will never, ever, ever, ever dance suggestively like that at that age.

Attached Files:

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If I were one of their parents I wouldn't care what they dressed like or how they danced or how suggestive it is as long as I got my ego built up..
    Who cares about the psychological condition of my kids..

oh...wait......

15. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

The dance itself is rather impressive and I applaud the girls for doing such a good job on it.

WITH THAT SAID:
    I think the choice of song and outfit could have been chosen much better. For 7 year olds this is over the top and a little inappropriate. 17 year old girls should be the ones doing this song not 7 year olds.

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the theme of kids show should be age-appropriate.
    wasn't there a thread recently where a kid's play (of similar age, maybe younger) was depicting mafia/narco guys murdering other characters?

found the video, it was a scarface play:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovMpapeCJQ,
    including all the "necessary" cultural, racial and gender stereoptyping

i agree this is on the parents (and the teachers). TVs just report what makes audience.
    I actually can't believe the parents went along with it.

"Hey Grams, should i get you tickets for little jane's second grade dance performance?"
    "Sure Hon, what's she gonna be?
    "A slut"
    "How lovely! Get me three. I'll tell Edna and Margot to come along"

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The mainstream media could care less about morals or ethics. All they care about is ratings and money.

As long as crap like this gets attention from the PUBLIC the media will show it.

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Chris Rock once did a funny bit where he said that when his first daughter was born, he realized that he now had one job and one job only - and that was to keep her off the pole. LOL!

EDIT: I found the link. There's some language in here, so be careful if at work.

19. ethical macrumors 68000

The dance was excellent, very impressive for children so young, but I agree with everyone here when I say the costumes were way over the line!

In my opinion it would have been fine if they wore more appropriate costumes. To the girls (and I believe many in the audience), all the song and dance moves represented is a catchy tune and a challenging dance. Nothing provocative. But that's not to say even with appropriate clothing it could still 'appeal' to the wrong audiences for the wrong reasons. They're standing right on a very thin line IMO.

20. Xavier macrumors 68020

Makes you wonder what kind of parents these kids have

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm a pretty liberal individual, and I couldn't get through the video. I don't blame the girls - the dancing itself was impressive and they're probably not old enough to understand what's wrong with it - but what the hell were the parents thinking?

And I agree with many of the others here - it's mostly the outfits that I have a problem with, but even if they were dressed more conservatively, I think some of the dance moves would have had me raising an eyebrow nonetheless.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The video is no longer available on youtube.

But...

I remember as a very young child listening repeatedly to the "Hair" soundtrack. My parents were good parents and I turned out okay.

I think the outrage is... overblown.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Right, but were you dancing around in almost no clothes for an audience while listening to the Hair soundtrack? It's not the music that bothers me, it's what the parents are allowing their kids to do with the music.

Don

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Listening is different than actively participating in..

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Toddlers and Tiaras? There is a swimsuit competition, I think. I don't watch the show, it gives me the willies.

These little girls have put together a very well done skit. I don't like it, but I don't have veto power on those things. Their parents did, and maybe it is ok to critique them.