70% of French women prefer to buy French clothes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cube, Oct 20, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

More protectionism? In the US, that's bad. Everywhere else, that's good.

2. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I buy clothes when they're good and affordable, not when their only property is that they're Canadian.

I think other people should do the same, they shouldn't be overly patriotic and actually buy whatever they actually like personally. If your primary concern when buying items is their country of origin, then your choices will be much more limited than if you bought those items based on the quality and price.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Preferring to buy is one thing, but actually buying your country's clothing is another.

I don't speak French, so I couldn't read the article.

6. cube, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

cube thread starter macrumors G5

I understand the article as the usual "check label, continue looking, make choice". And preferring certain shops.

I imagine UK clothes would be quite OK, not sure how they feel after Brexit, but the pound should make the products very attractive.

Some products can be good and affordable, with the workers making them not enjoying a fair benefit.

There has been offshoring going on in France too, so it's normal that they are concerned.

7. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I second that. Made in Italy and Made in France is superior for clothings - suits, shoes (English aren't bad either), jackets: you name it. English isn't too shabby as well though. But my wardrobe is French and Italian mostly.

8. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Hugo Boss is German, at least the company.

9. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Too stiff for my taste, but ok. I was just giving a personal approval to the French ladies :D

Also, France is well know for its Haute Couture so saying that they like to wear their products isn't that much about protectionism imo. That'd be like saying 90% of US Americans watch 90% Hollywood movies.* ;)

* no scientific poll

10. cube thread starter macrumors G5

There are also other Latin countries with good brands.

11. twietee, Oct 21, 2016

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

There are good brands all over the world. Not sure about Alaska or North Korea but other than that...

But why would you buy cloths from Latin America when your local stores offer beautiful products of good value? Not saying you shouldn't but it's not that unheard of as an idea. I for one think it's a good sign when people stop/refuse to buy cheap stuff Made in China for example.

The French are also know to invest much more money into their food than Germans for example - I applaud that. Quality over quantity or cheap prices. If that means to buy local stuff because of better quality control (for example) it's not a bad thing.

edit: I won't rule out a certain kind of "proudness" to wear french fashion on their behalf - but I wouldn't call that protectionism. I'm quite sure that they find their stuff just superior to others. You may question that but that's more a personal opinion/taste thing with Haute Couture and fashion being a very deeply rooted cultural phenomenon in France.

12. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I know. I have to check out some Japanese stuff.

Spain and Portugal are also Latin countries, you don't need to travel that far to go shopping.

I liked the Top Gear episode when they go to Vietnam.

And there are unbelievable fabrics in India.

13. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Agreed - although they certainly differ in style. Not my taste for example - especially the Spanish stuff. There may be some niche brands that make great cloths but the majority is meh imo (speaking about Men's clothings though - much better choices for females - although that is general issue). Especially when pitched against French. Portugese design is another matter though - quite sophisticated! No idea baout their clothing lines though. But I'd say also different than the usual French elegance.

14. cube thread starter macrumors G5

The article is not talking only about Haute Couture.

15. twietee, Oct 21, 2016

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I haven't read it as my French is too rusty - but to discuss French clothings and why French people prefer to buy those without taking the great pride they take into their fashion which ultimately leads to Haute Couture and back inot account, since in the process of marketablity it also finds its way back into the regular lines, seems a bit shortsighted imo.

But maybe you can point out the main topics of the article. To say that the number rose compared to 2011 says little for me personally.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

In men's clothing if you're the tall slender sort Italian>French>German>English and the reverse if you're not.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes although the companies offerings to the Nazi party in the thirties and forties were taking thing's a (Goose) step to far.

18. cube, Oct 21, 2016

cube thread starter macrumors G5

I think I get the idea of what's going on from a comedy film in French I watched in the nineties.

It was about a small local producer against big fast fashion.

19. waitandwait macrumors regular

All stuff are made in China.. whether French, German, American or Japanese...

20. cube thread starter macrumors G5

This is not true. Even fashion brands which offshore can make stuff in places like Turkey and Bangladesh.

You need to check the label.

21. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Nah, at least the Italians have Italian sweatshops, no problem. It's mandatory that a Prada suit reads "Made in Italy" - and you can't slap that onto the dress when designed in Italy and actually made in Bangladesh.

But I'm still curious what this thread is about. Would we be surprised when a survey discovers 70% of Swiss people wearing Swiss watches?

Why that number rose (or why it eventually declined prior 2011): is there any reasoning in the article?

22. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Good. I try to buy local stuff whenever possible, and then American-made after that so long as it's at least close in price. I'd rather have people employed around me than employed somewhere far away where I don't gain any benefits.

23. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I understand that this would be a general "made in France" preference, which they can express when buying clothes.

Which would be normal consequence of an acknowledgement of France's unemployment problems.

You mostly see Swiss watches in Switzerland, which I guess you know.

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Which would be your assumption though - not a fact in itself. I could also assume that there are mostly swiss watches for sale because that's what Swiss people want to buy. I understood the thread insofar as it's not about a general "made in France" type of behavior but specifically regarding French women who prefer to buy/wear French clothings.

I know that there was a quota French radio stations had to fulfill regarding music made in France in the 90s - no idea if that's still the case. Not sure that was only made to keep French musicians paid - although that is a side effect of course.

But I'm outta here, no idea what we're actually talking about. And I can't read the linked article which makes it worse. Salut! :D