$70B more down the drain (rant)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by QCassidy352, Dec 12, 2007.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Ok, I never post in this forum anymore because it just frustrates me, but this one time I can't resist.

$70 Billion more close to being approved for Iraq war.

I saw this headline, and something just snapped. Enough of this ****. Who do these people think they are? I'm talking about Congress, the White House, Reps, Dems, everyone. This is THE TAXPAYERS' money they are spending. That $70 BILLION dollars more being poured after the hundreds of billions already wasted? NOT THEIR MONEY.

The system of "representation" in this country has gone completely off the rails. The '06 elections were supposedly about sending a message of discontent, but these losers in this cesspool of a city that I'm stuck in :)mad:) don't care. It's just business as usual. The public doesn't want this war, doesn't want to pay for this war, doesn't want to see any more soldiers coming home in boxes, but the government doesn't care.

What happened to representation? What happened to democracy? The will of the people? Citizens as sovereigns?

Elected representatives sometimes have to make tough, unpopular decisions, but to simply completely ignore the people for years like makes a mockery of the system. This country is going to be paying for this war for decades if this goes on. Well, the people have had enough, and the pols don't care. They're just going to keep flushing our money down the drain because what the hell - it's really easy to spend money when it's someone else's.

You know what I want out of the next president? Just one thing - someone who actually cares what the PEOPLE want for their country. Show me the candidate who will do that and I'll vote for 'em, regardless of party.

Ok, rant over. Thanks for reading. :D

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Problem is, the Democrats (not all, but most) don't have the spine to stand up to Bush's insanity, and the GOP (again, not all, but most) don't have the balls to stand up to a president who's taking them over an electoral cliff.

The Democrats just couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a little piece of this war I guess.

3. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Oddly enough, haven't really thought about it like that before. And now that I see what you mean, I can see why. :mad:

It's going to take a lot to keep our government legit in coming years.

4. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

You mean it is going to take a lot to return the government to legitimacy in coming years.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Treason for the lot of 'em.

The pathetic mewling of the Democrats that they "can't do anything" is outright wrong. They can do plenty, they just refuse to because they're more interested in election results than right and wrong.

The Republicans are literally disgusting. How they can go home and sleep at night is beyond my comprehension. They must have no souls in order to peddle the obvious ********* they choose to.

Bush should be given a fair trial and hanged for crimes including, but not limited to: knowingly lying to the american people for the purposes of invading another country, criminal incompetence and cronyism in the invasion and rebuilding of Iraq, criminal incompetence and cronyism in the wake of Katrina, and breaking several laws and treaties passed and signed by Congress, including laws regarding torture, human rights, civil liberties and habeus corpus.

The cycle will, however, repeat itself because our electoral system is designed to only accept two parties. If one is terrible and the other worse, our only option is terrible. We will never dig our way out of hole we've allowed ourselves to be led into. I suggest following the rule of thumb adhered to by some of our more conservative posters: get yours and screw everyone else.

Thank you for the opportunity to rant.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

While this whole war has been at great human, and financial loss, unfortunately the US, and some other countries cannot pull out now. When Iraq and Afghanistan were invaded, I'm sure I remember a news item saying that Bush talked about six months top. You can't turn a country around in that time, especially the (forceful) move to democracy these two are facing.

I fully expect, like it or not, that the US and its allies, the Bush administration and it's successors, and its allies successive governments, will be paying the consequences of these wars for many years to come. It was obvious that everyone involved would be in it for the long haul.

Unfortunately, when I say many, I mean I don't expect the situation to be resolved within the next decade.

Sad, but probably true.

But it's not like nobody saw it coming.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Urgh, how much more money before the dollar hits $2.50 to £1, seriously, could the US be in any more debt??

I remember my aunt (lives in california) saying China owns trillions and trillions of dollars of americas gold or wealth, something along those lines, seriously, the US is in ALOT of debt, and I really wouldn't be surprised if the sh*t hit the fan in the next few years...

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ I don't really understand it all or know any detail, but I've heard the same. China own a mother load of US debt in some fashion I believe.

China is in ur base, making moneys of u.

9. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

The US gov't takes in 4 trillion a year, this is Piss in the Ocean. Although I would rather it be spent on our space program.

Mars Bitches!!

I'm busting my ass to get on the Ares Program. But thats another thread.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out while the US's debt may be high and the same time the US has the largest economy by far in the world. No other country comes close. Compare the debt to the GDP and it not nearly as bad. It is a lot lower than a lot of other countries the the world. Japan has the worse debt in the world when you look at it like that.

11. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

What happened? At risk of stating the obvious: We, the people, voted. We have exactly the government and representatives that we want. Otherwise, we would vote them out. We have the opportunity to throw out the entire House every other year. Toss a third of the Senate every other year. Vote in a new President every four years.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not exactly true. I am going to assume you know about gerrymandering. When Texas was sued on it many years ago one of the arguments Texas made was they do that so our representatives will get re-elected not for race or any other reason. This was the reason they won the case. Our distracts are so messed up it is very hard for some one to be voted out.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And how many people plan to vote for the next president based on what that person promises to provide in freebies paid for with other peoples' money? I can't think of any of the viable candidates that are running on fiscal restraint. Not a one.

14. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

You mean it is going to take more than we as a species are capable of to create a legitimate government.

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok I guess that makes it dandy then :rolleyes:

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's for everything. This war itself is going to cost us at least a trillion dollars. Probably more if it keeps going like this. Money that could have been going elsewhere. Or at least paying down the giant debt we've only made worse. That's a lot of money no matter how you slice it.

They all are, at least they all say they are, but very few of them have actual fiscal plans that would balance the budget if passed. Especially since people like you see our massive debt and money wasted by the current administration and previous Congress, but still complain that the Dems are going to raise your taxes. No one wants higher taxes, but as you've said about other issues, at least we accept that it's an inevitability we have to deal with. Either that, or they're going to have to cut spending, which again, I don't see the people you support doing either. Preferably, they'd do both. Leaving taxes for the middle and lower classes the same (or lower) but increasing the caps over $250,000 while cutting the fat from both sides, leaving enough left for programs that are working and are needed, while paying down the debt.

And in case you're going there again, no, tax cuts don't always pay for themselves.

17. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I know this is an old thread but seen this and wanted to comment on it. I know this is just a rant but you did ask a good question.

Ron Paul is your man. Look him up if you haven't yet.

IMO...everyone else seems like they are in it for themselves.