71% of young people are ineligible for the military

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, May 14, 2019.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

3. MultiMan macrumors regular

MultiMan

Sounds bad. Any figures how it has been historically?

Sweden stopped having draft (correct word?) a decade or so ago, but has returned to using it again recently. With such a small population we don't have much choice anyway in my opinion. And world security has taken a sharp turn for the worse the last decade. Russia is very aggressive again, even against our tiny country, violating air space rather frequently.

4. kapolani macrumors 6502

5. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Our government's priorities are way more f'd up than mine. These troubling statistics just happen to support my belief in reducing the military. So it's not all bad news. It's kind of a glass half full situation.

If you want to make a direct connection then you can point to people getting outraged when the government suggested they have a more healthy diet, our laughable public school system that is little more than a babysitting service, and making sure those at the top can remain insanely rich with greatly reduced financial opportunity for the rest that might make some consider crime as an alternative.

Then there's the "when I was a kid....." blowhards that's completely out of touch with today's realities and serves no purpose other than to make them feel superior.

Anyhow, less killing in the defense of profits is a win.

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Maybe today's kids are just too damned smart to let someone else put a gun in their hands and tell them to kill people they don't know for reasons they don't understand or agree with.:p

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Let me point a big hole in your hole reasoning. You're equating soldiers to military. In the XXI century wars are fought by drones, and computer aided weapons. The US needs way less people to be a war machine.

8. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

That's true, but at least as far as terrorists they are perfectly fine using human shields and the more the outrage over civilian collateral damage, the better. Global opinion can also help reduce our capitalism based military action.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This is a good thing? These fat stupid criminals are also the ones who we'll all depend on to keep SS, medicare, and any other government programs one of the 22 democratic candidates want to enact in order to win more votes.

10. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

In their minds, the end justifies the means.

11. raqball macrumors 68000

If someone is raised to hate the county, it's flag, its anthem and everything about it then why would they join the military? Luckily, we still have kids raised differently than that....

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Being smart doesn’t disqualify you from joining the military...

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No, it gets you the higher paying jobs. They don't let functioning retards onto subs.

14. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Our military abuses the means and has no clue what an end looks like.

A little preventative support of our population now instead just the rich and military would help prevent us from having an 80% useless population and then we’re really going to pay for it. Wait until they are in charge and then you’ll really see the mountain of free stuff become a reality.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

That’s an amazing stretch to claim off his comments.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You just have to think like an idiot to fit it. I'm sure there are people here who have read The Caine Mutiny. I love this quote from the book:
    It practically applies to any large bureaucracy like our Gub'ment.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hmmm... that data is old. There's a 2014 Time article that references the same number, which at first glance means that either the Pentagon did one study, or that the number remained unchanged. Which seems wrong.

I'm also curious what the washout rate for soldiers was in say WWI and WWII because of health, intelligence or criminal backgrounds. I suspect it was similar, and we have to remember that for a long time, some convicts were sent into the military as punishment. (Though I don't have good numbers on this.)

To steal a bit of dialogue: fat dumb and stupid is no way to go through life, son. We need to do better, not to feed the military's ranks, but rather because a lack of education and poor health leads to long-term costs for the country.

18. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Outrage over our military’s rampant abuse and mismanagement of their budget and our resources, including people, doesn’t mean you hate the country. Ignoring that doesn’t make you a patriot either. It just means its something you don’t care about.

What makes this country great, or potentially great, has a different definition to different people. Maybe you're square with the military and that's fine. I have no doubt you have issues with other segments of this country but just like our military, it's part of the country and not unAmerican just because you don't agree with it.

19. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

If he's congratulating kids on the three things that preclude them from military service, I find it fairly accurate.

20. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So much hate for the young people here :(

I'm young and fit and have a clean record, but I have no interest in the military. In my lifetime I've only seen the military engage in ill-founded quasi-imperialist operations (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya). It doesn't give me much optimism about the military as an institution.

Anyway, this is bad news regardless of its relation to the military. Obesity and criminality should be on the decline, mental health should be improving. It's sad for society all around if they're not.

21. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Increasing numbers of youth are sickly, uneducated, and criminals! Yay!

There is nothing good about any of this. The last time there were severe recruitment shortages, the military just lowered standards.

They lowered criminal standards and so hired gang members. Then the gang members went back home and become military trainers to their gang.

They could also lower health standards and put the unhealthy in desk jobs. Most of the military is not someone walking in a sandbox with a rifle, it's logistics and support. There is an enormous amount of paper pushing.

They could also lower education standards and put the uneducated in menial jobs. It doesn't take a high school diploma to do the laundry in the bowels of an aircraft carrier.

They can also simply keep their standards and hire more immigrants, and dangle US citizenship as a reward.

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Having a strong military, the ability go go anywhere in the world within a weeks notice, is a great deterrent. The ability to fight, without having to fight.

The Military needs to be mission ready at all times. During the Obama years we had planes falling out of the skies due to lack of funding and maintenance. Ships not being able to leave port because of severe mechanical failures. The ability to maintain sanctions for countries like North Korea or send carrier groups to the Persian Gulf during problems with Iran.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2019 ---
    Not only that, but if it's so severe that have to implement a draft. I would much rather employ a volunteer over someone who is forced into service.

23. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Great draft-dodging strategy: if you want to opt out of military, just shove TONS of food into your mouth….. 16 times a day.

24. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

YOU were the one that put out the concept that the poster would “rather” have it this way.

If I know the poster the way I think I do I believe he’d much rather have a military that wasn’t the armed militia of the capitalist class’s whims, but was actually focused on defense. Until that complete restructuring of the US military happens *I* would rather kids not be the blood sacrifice to the religion of market theory.