7200 RPM 750GB HDD - which one to choose ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjoshi123, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

2. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

WD = 5 years warranty, although you'd have to check the warranty police/flexability out. Also this one doesn't seem to have SMART (free fall recognition), so if that would be an issue for you ... (smaller chance at data corruption/damaged heads after fall, but out of my own experience it has minor influence on HD durability (whenever I've dropped a laptop, it was or in sleep mode, or shut down - eg: the hard drive is powered off - and still was once the HDD lost).

I'd go with the WD!

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Beware the increase in vibration in a 13" MBP from a 7200 RPM drive. I tried one in both a 2.4 GHz and a new i5 13" and the increase in vibration drove me nuts, so I went back to a 5400 RPM drive.

4. chefwong macrumors regular

Depends...
    Do you need that large of a HDD..
    Assuming you are looking at 7200 for performances, the smaller capacity hard drive still at 7200 would be generally faster..

5. bcaslis, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

bcaslis macrumors 68020

Between those two I get the WD. The Seagates generally have more noise and vibration than the WD drives. If capacity isn't an issue, I've heard the Hitachi 500GB 7200rpm is the quietest out there. They've also announced a 750GB version but nobody seems to have it yet.

6. JamersPad macrumors newbie

JamersPad

Well I just upgraded my MBP to 8gb ram and this hard drive

HERE

Works superb!

7. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

I can chime in that the Momentus XT vibrates quite a bit. I have the 500GB model in a Late 2008 Macbook (unibody). The vibration is audible when the laptop is on a table, however not when you have it on the lap. It is quite annoying actually.

But the Seagate's flash is the reason I bought it. On my Macbook it does make a difference for launching programs that I use often (Photoshop, Bridge, Chrome, MS Word). These launch fast. The boot is also faster than the stock 5400 rpm drive that was in there before, 25 secs (snow leopard).

That said, I'm wondering if I would get the Seagate for my MBP 2011. Would be interesting to hear the results from someone who's tried both. I can't find a review of the Scorpio at silentpcreview.com unfortunately (they rate the Momentus as "average" in the vibration segment).

/p

8. iwnz macrumors newbie

I chose to go with higher capacity over a slight bumper in RPM. SSD prices are so close to being sane now (IMHO c'mon Intel G3!) that I will probably get one soon and move the HDD to the opti bay and have speed and capacity in two internal drives.

9. Whitelightning macrumors regular

From my experience with notebook drives, Samsung is DEAD silent, every other drive makes noise. WD appears to be more silent than Seagate.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

^This.

I don't know why. Have a 3 year old 500gb Samsung drive I got off ebay running probably 12 hours a day. I've never heard it. :eek:

I used to think all components were created equal in this international "cheap labor" assembly process but I've since become a Samsung fan. Even their no-frill phones seem to hold up and last longer.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

I second this approach, although I don't understand why you would buy a 750GB HD instead of a 1TB.

http://goo.gl/C32UP

They are a little more (barely), and have a lot more storage.

Drop that baby in - then put in a 64GB SSD a little while later for your OS. Perfect setup.

12. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Ok I'm conused here, how do I have 64GB SSD + 1TB HDD in my 13.3" 2010 MBP ? Could someone please enlighten me little bit here ? A link to whole process would be really divine :).

13. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Okay I'm getting my new Segate 750GB + 8GB RAM delivered today from NewEgg. I'm going to take out my existing HDD and put new one (will wait for 128GB SSD to come down on price before taking a plunge with data doubler). Anyone knows if I need to do anything special for putting new 750GB HDD into my MBP apart from take timemachine backup of old, put new one in and put time machine restore back on new one ? How about creating partitions so I can keep programs in first 250GB of partition and data in rest of 500GB of partition. Never done partition in Mac so not sure how to go about it.