7200 RPM Hard drive moved from MBP to MB/slow boot time on MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by excommie, May 12, 2009.

1. excommie macrumors regular

Hello, I had a MBP with a 7200 RPM, 320 GB Hitachi Hard drive. I sold the MBP and got a white nvidia MB, but I kept the 7200 RPM drive and used it in the white MB (I did not reinstall the OS). Everything works fine, but I've noticed that it takes a very long time to boot. From the time I turn the MB on, to the time the spinning disk appears, it takes approx. 60 seconds. Other than that, the MB works fine.

Should I do a clean install of Leopard. Would this help the slow boot time?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Reinstalling the OS would help, as the drivers on your MBP's HDD are meant for the MBP and not the white MB.

So there might be some conflict between machine and OS, that can be resolved with a fresh install.

You later can use the migration assistant to add your user data from the MBP to the MB, but that would require a second HDD and an external enclosure.

But you could do an archive and install, where the previous user data is stored in a folder on your MBP's HDD called "Previous System" or so.

You can use MRoogle for looking for similar topics.

Similar and active thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=699930

3. excommie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, will try PRAM reset, if this doesn't help, I'll do Archive and Install.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

5. excommie thread starter macrumors regular

PRAM reset did the trick. Total boot time = 38 seconds. Thanks again.