$725 Good deal? 13" MBP 4GB 160GB 2.26GHz (A1278)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rob587, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Just bought an "excellent condition" 13" Unibody MBP 4GB 160GB 2.26GHz (A1278). Came with the original box and all original accessories. Was this a good deal? Mac2sell says it's worth $640, which shocked me. :confused:

2. Macsparky macrumors newbie

I have the same model, mine is in MINT condition is 29 months since build. I have added 8gig ram from OWC as well as a OWC 120gig SSD I wouldn't take that price for mine with the mods but I think your just fine with where you are on cost. It's a great machine and should give you many years of service. If you make a few mods like I have it will be the hottest little pup you could ask for. Super well built machine runs cool and can run away with anything that I have ever thrown at it... I paid $1050 for mine before mods 24 months ago I still think it was a great deal... ENJOY.....:apple:

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Cool, thanks for the info. It does help that it is really upgradable and the processor is decent enough to last a while.

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

not really...

what year was this 08 i didn't think they made 160gb in 09 and that processor isn't really decent enough if i were you i would think you were just ripped off

that is a very old computer and the soon they will be updating it to a mbp air or something that is thinner and that won't be worth much at all the c2d are very slow even when running flash they lag tremendously the bottom lvl mac air is much faster then this computer
    50% at least and it is new

i wouldn't be worried for next update of osx but i would assume i two updates from now instead of intel processors it will be iX processors

so to answer your question really not a good deal but it is still a good computer

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It wasn't a great deal, but you didn't get screwed either

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Well, I guess I dont feel good about it, but I dont feel bad about it either. Which is an overall negative feeling. lol

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If you are happy with and it does the job then that is all that matters. I have the same model as well as my BTo 15" 2.3 quad core with 8gb of ram and for what I do I don't notice any difference between the two except the high res screen.:D

8. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I think you paid a fair price
    It's a decent machine too, the newer ones are faster, but that doesn't make yours slow by any means. I've got a 2.4 c2d 15" macbook pro and it isn't "very slow" and doesn't "lag tremendously running flash" like robbie12345 says.
    Just enjoy it.

9. osx11 macrumors 6502a

10. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

as osx 11 said u got screwed badly actually worse then i thought

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

^^ This. I, too, have a C2D MBP (2.53GHz 15") and it is definitely NOT slow and laggy at all. Is it he fastest machine on the block? Not even close. Do I need the fastest machine on the block? I'd sure like to have it, but no.

As for what you paid, OP - $725 was maybe a touch high, but if it truly was in excellent condition with all original items, its not really that bad at all. If I were in the market, I'd think that's a good price to pay for it. And there's a considerable difference between $725 and $929 - not saying the newer one isn't worth the difference, but sometimes a couple hundred bucks is the difference between a new machine and NO new machine.

Enjoy your MBP, OP. And don't others telling you a C2D is going to be so slow worry you; its all about perspective. After all, I know plenty of people who drive 300+ HP cars and plenty the drive Priuses. Personally, my 4-cylinder (~170 HP) G6 is more than adequate. :D Then again, my "Mac" desktop is a PENTIUM D hackintosh... I'd LOVE to have a C2D, lol.

12. MacStu09 macrumors regular

Yeah...

You didn't get screwed, but you didn't get a great deal. I just bought this same Macbook Pro off ebay in great condition for $525 about 2 months ago. They go on ebay everyday for anywhere between $500-700 (just depends if you get in a bidding war or bid at 4 in the morning.)

Overall, I'd sell it on ebay/craigslist, try to make your money back and get an i5 for relatively the same price on Craigslist. Or if you really don't care, just use it. If you like it and aren't hurting financially from the purchase, just have fun with it.