731 Cycle Couny on MBPr (Bought 9/2012) - How to Service (Under Applecare)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbjandai, Oct 8, 2014.

1. lbjandai macrumors member

I've had applecare before, but with my previous Macbook Pro (2007 version), I got all my work done locally, and Applecare handled the payment to the authorized repair.

Does this still work for the Macbook Pro Retina, or, because this is a specially manufactured device (read: not easy to work on), would I HAVE to mail it to Apple?

EDIT: Reading from this site, sounds like I can get it done at the Apple Store? (http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ro-retina-display-how-to-replace-battery.html)

"Those who live near an Apple Store can have the battery replaced the same day with an appointment or opt for service by mail which takes 3-4 days."

Any other tips?

Thanks!

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I believe an Apple Store can do it, and I would be shocked if an authorized Apple service center couldn't also do it.

To replace the battery in an rMBP, though, involves replacing the entire top case, including the keyboard & trackpad, because the battery is "glued" to the case. So it probably won't be a super-quick procedure.

-- Nathan

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't think "wear and tear" is grounds for battery replacement. That cycle count seems to fall within that.

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Good point, although it's not solely about cycle count and will probably come down to how many amp-hours it is still able to retain after having endured 730 cycles, which is a number that OP left out of the post. As Apple themselves say (https://www.apple.com/batteries/replacement-and-recycling/), "your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles." 15" rMBP's battery design capacity is something like 8400mAh, so if OP's current capacity is significantly less than 6700mAh and the computer is still within the warranty term, Apple will likely not balk at replacing it.

-- Nathan

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You might show them that, but it will be left at discretion of the manager. In many times they will brush it off as regular wear and tear. It is an 2 year old computer after all.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They're supposed to retain at least 80% for 1000 cycles. Mine fell under 80% around 750 cycles, and the Genius agreed right away that the battery is underperforming and sent it off for repair

7. lbjandai, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

I have 6737 full charge capacity. Does this mean I should actually wait to bring it in until its under 6700?

I called an authorized apple repair dealer and he said it wouldn't be covered under applecare because they only cover the battery for the first year. My computer is under applecare until September of 2015, but he said even with the 3 year applecare, it still wouldn't be covered. He then said it would cost roughly $600. Anyone know if this is actually true? Based on this information, I'd feel better going to the Apple Store and hoping I get a nice Apple Genius.

Problem is, I really can't be without my computer for multiple days. Can't an apple store do this all in house? Sounds like your experience was they mailed it off to somewhere. I guess if that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Applecare extends the warranty. I personally waited until the "Service Battery" indicator was consistently on. Initially it was intermittent

They can do it in store, but it depends on what they have in stock. They told me in my case I'd be better off having it sent to the repair depot. I had them Fedex it back to my home address. IIRC, I sent it off on a Friday, and got it back the following Wednesday

9. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

Gotchya. Hopefully I can wait till Nov. 4th when my vacation begins. The "service battery" indicator has been on for *awhile* - few months at least. But I hadn't noticed it performing too badly.

10. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I just had mine replaced. It was around 650 cycles. If your battery status says service battery and you're under 1000 cycles, they'll replace it for sure. You could even set up a case online by chatting with support.

At a busy Apple store, it took them 5 days to replace mine and they had the parts in stock. I would call the store near you and ask them if could complete it for you if you drop it off in the morning. The entire top case (trackpad, keyboard, speaker grill, etc gets replaced).

11. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I bought my MacBook at the same time, and my battery has 20 cycles. So I don't know what the hell you're doing to yours.

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That place you called is wrong. AppleCare extends the warranty of your system, including its battery, for an additional two years past the original 1 year.

Battery warranty information
    Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have stopped working or are exhibiting diminished capacity due to normal use except when it is the result of a manufacturing defect.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446#Servicing

If it can be determined that your battery is suffering from a manufacturer defect, then it should be covered with AppleCare. The key is wether it's normal wear and tear, or a defect. At any rate, that place was definitely wrong by saying batteries are only covered for a year regardless of the presence of AppleCare.

13. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Ha! Obviously he's using it in an untethered fashion. Your battery life has probably degraded being constantly plugged. Lithium, like people, works better with exercise.

14. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

..... Using it. All day long. Plugged in, not plugged in, whatever. I don't buy them to look pretty.

15. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

...All that means if you never use your battery and shouldn't have bought a laptop.

God forbid he's using a laptop on battery... everytime you charge a total of 100% it's a cycle. Not exactly a crazy concept.

You're basically saying you've never unplugged your laptop.

16. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

^^ +1