75% of Americans think America would be better off if it was more religious

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, May 29, 2013.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Just when I thought progress was being made......

And don't take my comment as being anti-religion. It's about getting religion out of politics. Legislation should not be passed due to religious beliefs.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/29/poll-america-losing-its-religion/?hpt=hp_t2

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

At the same time however, The U.S. is becoming more tolerant and supporting things like gay marriage. So, if 75% of us want more religion, then hopefully it's a more inclusive and positive religion.

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Is it really 75% of all United Statesians that think this way? Did the pollsters really survey ALL of us living here because I wasn't asked to take this survey so it would seem my opinion wasn't counted. Hmmmm, I smell a conspiracy, conspiracy I tells you!

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Right, Buddy...to do a survey, you have to interview every single person in the country...and they didn't count you!:eek:

Yup...it's a conspiracy.

Protect yourself at all times.

:rolleyes:

:p

Attached Files:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Duh! They polled all people at church on Sundays.

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

We need some unskewed polls! ;)

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I knew it!

And it was that guy who took my roll of Reynold's.

:p

8. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I do wonder what these people think when they mean more religious.

Do they just think of the whole, be kind to others, don't steal, etc kind of religious beliefs? Or do they include no gay marriage, no birth control, etc religious views as well?

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Most "religious" people only use their religion in a way that suits them. They use what they like and discard things they don't.

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Well, I've always believed that 75% of people are stupid. Makes an interesting correlation.

12. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I'd go as far as to say they all do, because if you lived by the Bible you'd be guilty of genocide, slavery, beating Women and Children. It even says in the New Testament that the Old Testament rules still apply.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That was my thought as well. Maybe they just don't know that's called secular humanism.

Nothin' wrong with that.

14. vrDrew, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

vrDrew macrumors 65816

One thing that seems to be uniquely American: We tend to exaggerate how religious we really are:

Why do Americans lie (breaking at least one of the Ten Commandments, possibly two..) about how often they go to Church? A very good question.

I therefore look upon surveys on American's religious views with a healthy dose skepticism.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I believe the world would be a much better place if everyone followed the teachings of Jesus. Even just focusing on the greatest commandment - love God, love people - would be a fantastic start.

I will admit, though, that "religious people" have become a caricature of what following Christ is supposed to look like. All of us are very flawed in our own way and many like to use our attendance in a building on Sundays as a way to judge others, which could not be further from the example Jesus set for us.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

These polls can be rather misleading. I could quote from people who possibly might believe in Deism on Sunday and ignore religion the rest of the week, who agree with such sentiments. Generally, what they are saying is that they wish people were more ethical, and, as far as they have thought about it, they associate ethics with Sunday School.

This is a far cry from agreeing with, say, Pat Robertson.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I never go to church anymore, but I am Catholic. I do think we need better morals as a society not saying religion.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

This I will mostly agree with. I grew up in a family going to church every Sunday, private school with Bible classes up until 8th grade, and doing youth group activities. However, by the time I was in high school, I did not believe in any sort of God, Jesus, etc. My parents go to church on special occasions, but that's about it. However, I still hold all the values involves as far as respect for other people and things, trying to do the right thing, etc. Even though I am not religious, if I am in a church for a wedding or even with family because they wanted it, I will respect the place I am in. That doesn't mean I don't know how to get out and have fun, too...I still enjoy boozing it up, talking dirty, and having debaucherous fun in the sack.

I don't think you need religion to be a good person. And I know plenty of religious people who are simply awful. In the end, it's about how you conduct yourself.

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Keep in mind there are many people who are not religious that think religion is good for us. It gives us moral absolutes. Has there ever been a society that has succeeded without moral absolutes? Can a society succeed without this moral absolute? Can there be moral absolutes without religion? And if so where would we get those moral absolutes?

20. zin macrumors 6502

Are you saying that I can't be moral without following a religion?

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They lie to their fellow man as if that would fool the only "thing" that should really care if u to to church, god.
    I always believed withou religion a good person is even more moral because they do good without expecting a reward and don't do bad out of fear of punishment.

But back on track. Americans want more religion. Ok, let's get more middle easterners to come here. They are pretty religious right?

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Religion can bring about many beneficial mental states: peace, compassion, perspective, courage, patience.

So I can see why people would like to see more of that in this nation.

As a Buddhist, I too think America would be better off if it embraced more completely the values of Buddhism.

23. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

The problem is and I think this is a bigger problem with Christianity is people think if you are christian somehow you are more trustworthy and have better values. This is where the idea of more religion will make people better comes from. of course history shows this is not true and never will be. The more religious a person becomes the more gullible and controllable they become. they are easy to fool by someone that seems to be like someone they think is a better person. You can only become a better person by accepting responsibility for your own actions and remedy them as best you can. not sure god to blame it on.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Poll data is suspect. I have a hard time believing that a balanced poll would product this result.

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008