75% of calls going straight to voicemail on o2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhaleuk, Jun 19, 2009.

1. rhaleuk macrumors member

I'll keep it short.

A few days ago on my old 2G iphone I noticed / got told that most of my calls were going straight to voicemail.

I bought the new 3GS today and put the same SIM into it and the problem continued. I went and got a new SIM from o2 over lunch and that has transfered fine, but I'm still getting the calls going to voicemail. I've obviously cleared any diverts that might have been in place.

As a test I can call my own iPhone with full signal, from another phone, 5 times in row it might go through, then it will somehow flip and then not accept calls for 20 minutes.

I have absolutely no idea what to do, but I'm very disheartened after what was initially an excellent experience at the Apple store this morning.

If anyone can offer any advice I'd be really grateful. Thank you

2. Que macrumors 6502

3. dazey macrumors 6502

Its a network issue (the issue being that the O2 network is overloaded). The cell that you are connected to can support a certain number of handsets registered but a much smaller number of calls. You can have full bars but if the tower to which you are connected has already filled its calls then any incoming call to you goes to voicemail. I found this problem on vodafone and O2 but found orange and tmobile to be less congested. Once my contract is up I think I will be going back to Orange. This is the same reason why when trying to place a call you get a 'call failed'