750GB/1TB Drive in new 15" Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cward11, Nov 3, 2009.

1. cward11 macrumors newbie

I've read many threads about whether or not the new Western Digital 750GB and 1TB will fit in a MacBook Pro. I have SUCCESSFULLY installed a 750GB in my MBP so I wanted to pass word along that it will work in that model. It's a June 2009 unibody 15" MacBook Pro (newest model with built-in battery). The standard drive is 9.5mm thick and the 750 I installed is 12.5mm. It looks like a tight fit, but it fits in there perfectly. The edge of the bottom cover doesn't bulge out and the bottom can be screwed back on and fits perfectly flush.

Has anyone else been successful at putting a larger drive in their MBP? Post some replies and let's find out which models and sizes will fit the 750GB/1TB.

2. mmlo macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Do you have any vibration problems? How does it compare with the drive you removed, besides an incredible amount of available space?

3. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

sorry to bring this from the dead, didnt want to create another thread, are there any heating problems? i hear the 12.5 drive takes up the cooling space from the 9.5. i am looking at the WD 1tb and wasnt sure if i should take the risk of heating problem. i also have the june umbp.

4. man02195 macrumors regular

No heating problems, had mine for 6 weeks now. Cool and quiet.

5. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
  6. maximus06 macrumors regular

What air flow? What heat? The HD isn't anywhere near the two main heat sources (CPU, GPU). In fact, its entirely separate from the motherboard. There's no cooling going on in the HD bay.

7. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    Yes I know, that's why I worded it "apparently". But with the increased height there will less room for the HDs heat to disperse via convection which I presume will be cooled by the fans. But I may be wrong.

8. maximus06 macrumors regular

"Apparently" indicates that you have some sort of evidence/fact backing up your assumption - I don't see any.

The fans have nothing to do with the HD, as I explained, they aren't even close, they're inside the motherboard on the back end of the laptop (2 fans).