Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
which one shall i get? both are the same cost to me since im getting the 15'' 2.2ghz model.

i was going to get the 128gb ssd but it would warrant either:
1) using external harddrives which i'd need on 24/7 and are very unreliable
2) optibay kit which voids my warantee - i dont see any laptop as that durable since ive fried every single one i've used so big nononononono.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
OptiBay does not void your warranty unless you break something while doing it. If it goes bad, just put the SuperDrive back in and send it to Apple. They won't notice any difference.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
What do you need more of, speed or storage? Personally, I'd go with speed. My wifes' 2008 MBP 15" came with a 4200(!)rpm drive, it drove me CRAZY. The second the RAM needed to start paging out to the disk it became slow as a turtle. Boot-up took forever, and nothing opened quickly. I finally put a 640GB Samsung F1 7200rpm drive in it and it literally doubled the speed, if not more. It achieves about 90MB/s read/write speeds.

If you can't tell, I'd personally go the 7200rpm route.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
which one shall i get? both are the same cost to me since im getting the 15'' 2.2ghz model.

i was going to get the 128gb ssd but it would warrant either:
1) using external harddrives which i'd need on 24/7 and are very unreliable
2) optibay kit which voids my warantee - i dont see any laptop as that durable since ive fried every single one i've used so big nononononono.

There are already a few threads running with the same (or similar) question. It might be worth your while checking them out and posting in those threads.

As for 7200 vs. 5400? Well, that depends on your usage.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
There are already a few threads running with the same (or similar) question. It might be worth your while checking them out and posting in those threads.

As for 7200 vs. 5400? Well, that depends on your usage.

+1

SEARCH is your friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.