Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
So apparently I must be a SUPER light user of smartphones.

I got my phone thursday afternoon, charged it fully and took it off charge that night.

It's now 9:45pm Sunday night, and I am at 4% battery after 3 Days 0 Hours of Standby and 5 Hours, 11 Minutes Usage including a 36 minute call. I took a half dozen photos, shot a 90 second movie and sent about 30 messages including 2 picture messages.

To me, this is awesome battery life compared to my HTC Desire which would get around 40 hours of the same sort of use.

Also hot damn LTE is fast... I managed 32Mbits indoors.

Anyway, how much do you guys use your phone? I was worried about battery life after reading all the people saying it was poor, and maybe for heavy users it is, but it would seem I am a light user. Is my usage not typical?

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Not watching online video, playing graphic intensive games or doing FaceTime calls are probably keeping your battery time high.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Not watching online video, playing graphic intensive games or doing FaceTime calls are probably keeping your battery time high.

Oh for sure, but I never game on my phone. Such a better experience on the iPad.

I think part of it is I don't catch public transport...I kind of imagine most usage happens while on a bus/train

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Listening to the radio via bluetooth headphones and using a pedometer and using location services doesn't half suck your battery about 110 minutes takes 60% and the occasional tweet too that on the iPhone 4s

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Impossible... Must have been off

Nope, I've had similar. Actually with more usage. Got around 10 hours use, 3 days 1 hour standby.

Iphone 5 battery is the best I've had on any smart phone.

Matt8045

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Full brightness no auto dim i go through the battery after a couple hours. But it charges way faster than my old iPhone so guess it balances it out.

ogs123

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
It's now 9:45pm Sunday night, and I am at 4% battery after 3 Days 0 Hours of Standby and 5 Hours, 11 Minutes Usage including a 36 minute call. I took a half dozen photos, shot a 90 second movie and sent about 30 messages including 2 picture messages.

If you let it go down to 4% or so every time, that great battery life won't last long. Li-ion batteries perform best when they are recharged often. You should recharge it every night.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
77 hours? I believe it if you dimm your screen to 10% brightness, not watching videos, not playing games, not surfing the web, LTE off. Sure if you use iPhone 5 like a generic dumb phone it's gonna stay on single charge very long, but seriously dude what's the point? iPhone is not intended to be used as a dumb phone only to make the longest possible stay on a single battery charge.... When used normally iPhone 5 battery is pretty crap.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
77 hours? I believe it if you dimm your screen to 10% brightness, not watching videos, not playing games, not surfing the web, LTE off. Sure if you use iPhone 5 like a generic dumb phone it's gonna stay on single charge very long, but seriously dude what's the point? iPhone is not intended to be used as a dumb phone only to make the longest possible stay on a single battery charge.... When used normally iPhone 5 battery is pretty crap.

I got 3 days standby without resorting to any sort of thing, brightness around 40-50%, youtube, Internet radio, music, email, calls, texting, bit of surfing ( no LTE, but 3G as that's what we have). No games though, my phone is a tool, not a toy.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Pic or it didn't happen ;)

That's really crazy, though, congrats.

I read an article about this new battery tech they're developing (finally!!). Apparently phones will last MONTHS on a charge, not days. Can't wait until that tech is out, lol

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Nice, I'd like to see what the S3 can do.

Got pics please? It's not hard to take a screenshot with the iPhone (press Home and Sleep at same time).

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico

Sunday Night?? Its only Sunday morning?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Nice, I'd like to see what the S3 can do.

Got pics please? It's not hard to take a screenshot with the iPhone (press Home and Sleep at same time).

My last screenshot before I charged the other night.

8057994474_bd1a81d238_z.jpg

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Oh for sure, but I never game on my phone. Such a better experience on the iPad.

I think part of it is I don't catch public transport...I kind of imagine most usage happens while on a bus/train

You're actually right with that one. You have more time to play with your phone when someone else is doing the driving. I have streamed Netflix, and remote control desktops while on the bus, and I can tell you, I've never ever been so productive with work before.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
As with any mass produced item. Your mileage is going to vary.

It explains why on same model cars, some have a certain issue and others don't.

The majority of iphones are going to have average battery life. Then there are some that will have horrible battery life (most likely defective), and then there are the ones who will have excellent to almost impossible battery life. It's just the way the cards are dealt.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The majority of iphones are going to have average battery life. Then there are some that will have horrible battery life (most likely defective), and then there are the ones who will have excellent to almost impossible battery life. It's just the way the cards are dealt.

It has much more to do with the perception and usage patterns of the individual user, rather than the batteries themselves.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
It has much more to do with the perception and usage patterns of the individual user, rather than the batteries themselves.

Not all batteries are created equal. No matter what type of usage it gets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.