79-year-old ‘cat lover’ sentenced to 10 days in jail for feeding strays

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

this sucks.

2. LordVic macrumors 603

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

exactly, she should get 60 days minimum for feeding those killers................................. :p

pretty stupid to send the woman to jail.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I guess the article missed the part where she is in her 4th violation of this and that her 10 day sentence would be dismissed if she didn't feed the cats again over the 2 month delayed jail time.

While I think it is stupid law, if you break a law, even that stupid, 4 times, what can a judge do. There needs to be some type of penalty. And let's remembers, the laws were made by people who want to control every aspect of everyone else's lives. I blame the people who called for the law.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It would be nice if her idiot former neighbors made better moving plans when it came to their pets. I realize that cats will sometimes hide from this stuff, but people who are going to potentially contribute to the feral population just shouldn't own pets.

7. Huntn, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

She should have plea bargained to use cage traps to nab the strays and send them off to the pound. ;)

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

This is like giving "food to a homeless person for feeling sorry" for him..

When will it end.. We have 'freedom in public, but are narrowly closing fast... The hole is waiting for you.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I’m sorry, but if they told her three times to stop and she didn’t, it’s on her.

Across the street from my sister in law is a lady who feeds every feral cat who comes around. It’s a nuisance. There seem to be more and more. Sometimes they’re found run over in the street. Sometimes you have to hold onto your dog so it doesn’t go across the street chasing them.

Crazy woman I used to work with took in every stray cat she found. Not only that, at work she’d throw the window open in our shared office, in the dead of winter, to throw out food for squirrels and pigeons. Those things would flock to our window, which didn’t have a screen, while stiff winter winds blew all the papers off our desks.

I can’t stand animal nuts.

10. LordVic macrumors 603

funny. Nobody here said that she was correct in her actions

what we are saying though is that a criminal record and jail time is excessive and overly punitive for the crime and would easily be considered a "Cruel or Unusual Punishment"

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

? Are we talking about a felony conviction here?

I’d be more concerned about where she’s going to be serving time. Cuyahoga County Jail is a dump.

12. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Not a lick of sympathy for her. She’s nutso and is creating a nuisance for everyone else. 22 damn cats?!

A few years ago one of the cats fed by our neighborhood cat lady settled on our property and was panting, about to give birth. We could not get it to move away. I called the City to come retrieve the cat. I was told I would have to pay for the damn cat. My mother in-law was all “What if the cat is dead and on public property when they come!?”

Luckily the cat left by the time I went back out to check.

It’s bad enough we have to deal with raccoons and possums, the latter population caused by the City trying to eradicate rats.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

Sorry, agree with @ronntaylor here. Stuff like this makes cities dirty. It's a massive burden, just like homelessness.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Then fine her. Why are they sending an 80 year old woman to jail for something like this?

15. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Repeat offender and the fine apparently means nothing to her. Also, they're given her so much latitude. If she doesn't feed the nuisance for a couple months it goes away. Given her past, she'll be in jail shortly.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If many of these previously belonged to neighbors as she claimed, I'm hesitant to blame her rather than her former neighbors. It would be good to see an effort to re-home displaced animals that find themselves in that situation. I don't have any cat appropriate food, but I have on a couple occasions tried (unsuccessfully so far) to leave out water for stray cats and dogs. In some cases, I can tell this must have been someone's pet, as they clearly lack survival skills, judging by their weight at the time I spot them.

This only happens spuriously from time to time, and it hasn't happened in a long time aside from coming across a few feral kittens hidden under a rather exotic looking plant. Otherwise I might keep some things around to lure them there to be taken to a no kill shelter, perhaps a felt lined box, some water, and a few treats.

As for her, I think this focuses on the wrong person. Unlike the other example provided in the thread, these aren't wild animals and many of them may not be fully feral.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Meanwhile, in Australia -

A Single Male Cat's Reign of Terror.

Domestic cats can cause irreparable damage to local wildlife, especially if allowed to roam freely. Feeding wild cats simply leads to growth in the population of feral animals.

Sorry, but this lady should have learned from the previous three or four times she was warned by law enforcement.

18. LordVic macrumors 603

It's cruel and unusual punishment. And the lack of empathy to her is kind of gross to be honest.

Yes, She's in the wrong. NOBODY is denying that. But the answer to lock up a 80 year old is kind of abhorrent.

In reality, this woman likely is suffering from issues related to advanced aging. She has probably fewer friends and loved ones around her and is resorting to filling time by caring for animals she shouldn't be. What I see is a desperate elderly person who needs care and compassion in her final years and not a jail cell, high fines and to be treated like some sort of blister on the planet.

It honestly sounds like she needs to have her home sold and moved into either assisted living or elderly care facility in order to keep her sane, safe, and out of public harm.

Locking her up is just cruel. Support to lock her up is just cruel.

when did we become such a cruel society

19. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

A study in the UK (sometime back, maybe a decade or two) showed that freely roaming (mostly domesticated) cats severely impacted the fatalities numbers of the local bird population.

20. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

She’s a repeat offender. The ten day sentence is for contempt of court. And the sentence is suspended and lifted if she doesn’t feed the cats for two months. The court is going out of its way to not jail her. Like it has in the past. She’s
    making the situation worst. At this point they should commit her. That’ll be far worst than a week in the local jail.

The true cruelty is allowing her to be stupid, and waste taxpayer money and resources as she clearly won’t stop after multiple attempts to accommodate her.

Those cats will likely be put down as well.

21. LordVic macrumors 603

this is one of those cases where there's really no "happy ending".

it's a case of someone approaching their end of life and doesn't really have much else apparently. resorting to this sort of thing. if the only answers is "Commit her" or "lock her up" than the state and society has failed her in her aging.

We need more compassion in life. Not less.

22. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Her legal counsel should have her placed in assisted living instead of wasting everyone’s time. There probably is a place where she can care for animals as well. The current situation is maddening and does no one any good.

23. LordVic macrumors 603

absolutely. But I have a feeling her legal counsel probably didn't really care much about her anyways beyond the paycheque they'd receive.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't think a lot of brits will get how much of a pain stray animals can be, because we really don't have many here at all. But my folks area has lots of stray cats in Spain, and they do become a real pain in the butt, as well as damaging the local eco systems. Feeding them only works if you take the collective care approach found in Turkey etc, but I very much doubt that happens in the US. They need to be neutered where possible too.

Kedi is an interesting watch about the collective care of cats...... I've seen it much more in Muslim countries than I have other countries - https://www.kedifilm.com/

The stray packs of dogs roaming the streets in Sarajevo I found pretty intimidating too.