$799 new unibody Macbook or $999 refurb 2.26 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ammo, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Ammo macrumors regular

I know, I know, I hate these threads too but I'm seeking advice on this one.

I'm going to be graduating from college soon and I need a new laptop since mine broke and I'm using a loaner right now.

Since I'm graduating from college, I'm lucky enough to have a job lined up, but I still don't have bags and bags of cash. Microcenter is selling the new Macbook for $799. I'm not a power user but I would use the SD slot for uploading photos from my camera. I want the MBP, but I think the price of the Macbook makes it too difficult to resist.

What does the Macrumors universe think I should get?

2. n19htmare macrumors member

1) it seems like you care about the SD slot. so a +1 for the MBP
    2) Do you care about the backlit keyboard?
    3) you said you work with photos or will upload photos... in which case you may like the better screen in the MBP having better color gamut.
    4) Lack of firewire in the MB, I have yet to use this port on my MBP. so it may not be missed as much.
    5) plastic vs aluminum. Aesthetics (like the flat glass screen).

If you can live with a USB card slot, have no need for firewire800 and dont ever need the keyboard backlight because you are always in a well lit area then it makes no sense to spend the extra $200 which you can use to get Extended Apple care + maybe a magic mouse or something.

3. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I would get the macbook pro, you get the blacklit keyboard, firewire, better screen.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I'd get the MBP because the screen on the original unibody belongs in a netbook, or a $349 acer. My condolences to anyone who paid over $750 for that machine.

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

FWIW I never use the keyboard back lighting but I can't stand working or watching TV in dark rooms either so it depends on your use.

SD slots are one of those things that do come in handy and it is nice not to have to worry about losing/finding/digging out the adapter.

I considered the plastic mac but after handling it I just thought it felt cheaply made...esp after handling the aluminum versions. I like the old plastic mac better than the new one feel and look wise.

I would go MBP if I were in the same shoes. Go play with both in a shop and go with your gut.

I swear I have also seen refurbed 2.26s for 899 at times...maybe I was reading wrong.

6. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Something to consider. The $799 price is still $999 (plus tax on $99) out of your pocket. The $200 rebate is in the form of a Visa Gift Card which you can not take a cash advance against. Since you are paying sales tax when you are using the gift card, the card value is really $200 - your local sales tax. So if your tax is 7% the $200 card is really worth $186.

Plus if you do not send in all the proper paperwork you may not get it, and miss the window of how quickly you have to apply for the rebate.

Personally I would vote for the MBP

7. Ammo thread starter macrumors regular

The Visa Gift Card is still like cash though, cash that could buy AppleCare or a nice Shaq Cavs jersey and Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Or cover my Christmas shopping expenses.

8. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

Pro.

9. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

You are still putting that $200 out first, and there is no guarantee you will get the card back in time for Christmas shopping.

Dont get me wrong its a good deal, and I considered driving to Philly to get one.

A note about Visa or Amex gift cards. Be careful where you use them. Some stores will only issue a return credit on the same card that purchased the item. So make sure you hold on to your gift cards, even if you spent the whole balance, because if you do not have the actual card and need to return something, it will cause you some issues.