8.1, Health App and Blood Glucose Readings

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wolfpackfan, Oct 20, 2014.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

This is ridiculous. I have been using the Health app ever since 8.0 came out to record my Blood Glucose readings. I do this because my doctor has me bring the readings into him to monitor my diabetes I had about a month's worth of readings recorded. Just updated to 8.1 and Apple has taken Blood Glucose readings out of the Health app. I've lost an entire months worth of readings. Thanks a lot Apple. I can go back and back up through my test meter and enter the readings into a spreadsheet like I used to, but it is going to be a real pain as I test my BG 2-3 times a day. Like I said, thanks a lot Apple. I will no longer use the app. You just can't trust it.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yes there was a bug with it and it was in the news a few days ago. Would you rather have them storing incorrect data? Or fix the issue?

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

My readings were fine. I entered them directly into the app.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not defending Apple but I think its risky that you are relying on a new Smartphone application to log such vital medical information without a backup system in case of total failure considering how new the health app is.

6. Xbox2005 macrumors newbie

Simple fix as the units for tracking a metric are just a label on a graph. I started entering glucose levels under dietary/sugar. Pick a metric as what you are graphing is the vale and a 97.4 is 97.4 regardless of the label on a graph.

Simple fix for those in the US that had the capability and lost it due to the typical British sniveling that something isn't perfect. Make it work and just use a different metric and renter your data from your meter for the last month.

I totally understand those that want to use the app to record and graph so you can have the convienence of having your data available with you all the time and displayed graphically. It's a shame Apple pulled the metric and created the inconvenience but you can do what the British should have - enter the value and ignore the units label for now.

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

how do you enter glucose readings?

Manually? Or does your glucose meter have a smart functionality? If so, which one?

8. cinealta macrumors 6502

Why manually enter your blood glucose readings into a cell phone when your meter already stores them automatically when you measure? Your Doctor can download straight from the meter. Most meters offer a USB cable and tracking/graphing software. Why be redundant? Just to be trendy?

9. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I would suggest recording the readings on a plain piece of paper or a paper based clipboard.

iOS is far too bugged and unreliable at the moment. iOS is intelligent OS. But experience shows that you can never trust intelligence. Always rely on dumb stuff like a piece of paper.

10. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

First of all, if you don't have Diabetes, you shouldn't be posting on this thread.

Now that we got this out of the way, I suggest trying this app:
    http://diabetikapp.com/
    It's free, and it does a great job at recording the essentials of your diabetes care.

I've been recording my numbers in both the above app and Health ever since iOS8 came out, but when I upgraded to the iPhone6, all the data was gone. (Supposedly when you do an encrypted backup in iTunes and restore that, you'll get health data back) But I wanted to set up as a new phone.
    Now I'm glad, I didn't plug my data in again, since blood glucose is gone in iOS8.1

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

"iBP" has spare field to record whatever data you with.
    It offers 2 or 3 ways to backup data, too. Highly recommended app

13. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Other than a few select Accu-Chek meters which ones offer USB connected data transfer?

I run an app on the iPhone, the iPad and on the Macbook Air and Mac Mini called Diabetes Pal. It allows me, via the laptop or desktop, to import readings off of the Accu-Chek Mobile and Performa meters, then sync's the data across all devices.

Recently my Accu-Chek Mobile died. It is a USB connected model. I purchased a cheaper Performa but it's a IR connected model. Short of spending $100 to purchase the SmartPix IR reader which only works properly on Windows I have to enter the data manually into Diabetes Pal now.

Roche's Accu-Chek arm refuses to consider porting its data management software over to MacOS.

So, if there is a MacOS/iOS friendly solution out there I'd like to hear about it. It can either be software that will interface with the Accu-chek brand or a brand that has MacOS/iOS compatible software.

The final goal is to be able to record entries, add ones not glucose related such as weight, blood pressure and so on, then to be able to either generate PDF reports to to print them out for the medical staff to look at.

14. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57