8.1mbp/s 3G Speeds On Verizon, 1.4mbp/s On ATT...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 2, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

ATT really needs to upgrade their 3G speeds. The other day I compared my Dad's Blackberry on Verizon's 3G network to my iPhone 3G on ATT's 3G network. Using www.testmyiphone.com (which works on any device), I got 8.1mbp/s on my dad's Blackberry and only 1.4mbp/s on my iPhone. Imagine how much better the iPhone would be on Verizon's network. Verizon's 3G network is about six times faster, covers a lot more areas, and works a lot better compared to ATT's. I really can't believe how bad ATT's network is compared to Verizon...

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

When AT&T finally loses its exclusive deal they are going to lose customers left and right if they don't upgrade their service by then. Somehow, I doubt AT&T is capable of making their network comparable to Verizon's so I'll be leaving when that sweet day comes.

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

try dslreports.com/mspeed

you might have to use a larger file than the first 3 sizes

4. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Umm I'm pretty positive that no carrier in the US has 3G speeds that currently exceeds 1.8 mbps so what you're saying is technically impossible. Also, tests done by 3rd party companies, while Verizon's 3G network is more widely available in the US, at&t is tops in actual speed (by average and max speed).

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

CDMA/EVDO (Verizon's network) isn't capable of those speeds so you might want to re-run that test!

Verizon actually quote 'typical download speeds of 400 - 700 Kbps and typical upload speeds of 60 - 80 Kbps' on their website.

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

There was already a previous thread about the reliability of the results from testmyiphone.com and how they are not "reliable."

You may want to check out what Verizon's own website says about the data speeds on their "3G" network.

I'm not defending AT&T or saying there aren't problems but clearly the results you got are far from accurate and do not even reflect what Verizon advertises as their speeds.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have always doubted testmyiphone.com. They always say that my iPhone gets between 1.2 to 1.6 Mbps and other sites say I get about 300-400 kbps.

One of them is wrong and I tend to think it is testmyiphone.

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Are you sure that they don't mean 400-700 kilobytes on Verizon's site? They would be around the same as what I got on my dad's Blackberry. My iPhone 3G usually gets 130-200 kilobytes (usually 1.4 megbits) a second speeds.

9. markgamber macrumors 6502

Sprint too. On average, I got three times the speed with Sprint and the Touch than I do with AT&T and the iPhone. And lately, the past week or so, AT&T data simply disappears for hours. Yesterday, for example, I was taking pictures as the day went on and uploading them to my photo site via my exchange server. Everything works fine to a point and then suddenly nothing more goes out. I can *receive* mail, but I can't send it, so I'm doubting it's my server. I screwed with all kinds of things last night to no avail. Today I'm sitting at the computer writing code and suddenly four emails show up in "sent mail" and the pictures are on my site. Whaaa? So I've added it up and decided that AT&T is pissing me off. If it goes down again, I'm calling customer service and demanding they take the data charge off my bill. I'm paying twice what I paid at Sprint and for what? One third the speed when it works? Don't think so.

Oh...forgot to add that data was out all over my area. At home I have one reception bar and data sucks but I was in several places during the day where I had full bars and still no data.

10. sibruk macrumors 6502a

No:
    I think they have updated their network to Rev.A which is capable of slightly faster (if the device supports Rev.A, of course)
    but I'm afraid EVDO just isn't possible of obtaining 8.1Mbps!

11. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm positive they don't as if you refer to my post I quote the Verizon site word for word. But if you don't believe me you can check here.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Make sure you disable WiFi on the blackberry before running the test.

I got 7.91Mbps on my cable internet to my macbook.

13. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I didn't think of suggesting that. Maybe that explains why I am getting 10+ mbps when I test my iPhone speed. :D

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Very true. On my Sprint Broadband card which is EVDO, I consistently test out at 1.2Mbps. It's been tested on both Hp and Mac computers and it's always consistent.

15. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Dont forget BlueBerrys compress there data stream. maybee that had an effect?

16. cdesigns macrumors 6502

Not possible SORRY. Verizon speeds will never reach 8.1mbps. They might have the best phone coverage but not the data coverage, Sprint EVDO A is faster than Verizon , I used to own both cards on my laptop. 3G haves faster speed. but first of all none of the networks outthere will provide you 8mbps they're not capable yet. I you sure you were not using a wifi connection?

17. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It could have, but any decent speed test will use data that doesn't compress well with the standard compression schemes.

18. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It was disabled for the test.

19. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Well, as it is clear based on the abundance of information provided above that Verizon EVDO rev. A is not capable of a speed that fast, I think it provides one more reason not to trust the speeds reported by testmyiphone.com.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yeah, I gave up using that site last week. I really doubt we are getting 1.5 Mbps downloads on 3G, it's more like 300-600Kbps or even slightly better.

21. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm thinking testmyiphone.com does not work right with other phones because 8.1Mb/s is impossible... I get 1.34 Mb/s on my iPhone 3G and that's better than most cell phones have ever seen on a 3G network in the US.

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

But then how do you explain the difference in test resultes when you test using iNetwork? Their site says I only get aboy 300-600Kbps as compared to testmyiphone which says anywhere from 1-1.6Mbps. One of those is wrong and I'm thinking it's gotta be testmyiphone.

23. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

iNetwork isn't reliable at all. It just makes the phone download an image and sees how fast it can load it. The image is way too small to get an accurate result on 3G or wifi so it'll max out its' results at 300-600kbp/s.

24. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

More like why you are getting speeds above 400 kbps on your iPhone

25. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, no, you didn't get 8.1Mbps on your dad's Blackberry. Rather, testmyiphone.com measured the speed from its site to the site of the Blackbery PROXY at RIM's datacenter in Waterloo, ON Canada. So, Waterloo is getting 8.1Mbps. The throughput from there to your dad's Blackberry is probably a far slower speed.

All data transferred on a Blackberry is handled through RIM's proxy network, which caches web pages and e-mail before sending it on to your handset. That proxy is used to reformat HTML and e-mail pages to your specific device's display. For this reason, most speedtests from a Blackberry will be greatly exaggerated.

The advantage to the proxy is:
    - It's what makes push e-mail happen
    - It makes sure RIM's up-to-now limited browser doesn't crash when viewing complex web pages
    - You can greatly exaggerate your speed test results. :D

The drawback is when RIM's network goes offline, and Blackberries end up without data capability. During these times, other smartphones (Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm OS, iPhones) are unaffected.

The iPhone doesn't use a proxy, so there what you see is what you get.

The way to test your dad's Blackberry correctly is to tether your blackberry to a laptop, and then use a site like speedtest.net. Tethered data connections do not go through the proxy.

By the way: it's been a while since I've done this test, but I did test Verizon's speed on a blackberry. It was slightly slower than Sprint, and much, much slower than AT&T. Maybe things have improved since then, I don't know.