8 GB iPhone 3GS on 4.1 with 05.15.04 baseband won't upgrade to iPad baseband

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by arkhangel, Mar 17, 2011.

1. arkhangel, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

arkhangel macrumors newbie

Guys,

I'm at a loss. I've been plowing away at this for nearly 10 hours straight, and nothing I try seems to work.

I bought an 8GB iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.1. The phone's baseband is 05.15.04. Nothing I do seems to work at upgrading the baseband so that I can unlock the phone (for use on T-Mobile).

Whenever I try restoring the OS on iTunes, it falls short, with error 1015. I've downgraded iTunes from 10.2.1 to 10.1.1. I've done a factory reset. I've tried the latest redsn0w. I've tried the two latest builds of Pwnage Tool. I'm running OS X 10.6.6 on an iMac.

If I can't get this to work, I'm going to have to ditch the iPhone and go back to my Windows Phone HD7.

Does anyone have any clue? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

1015 is to be expected. After you get error 1015, simply hit the “Kick Device out of Recovery” button in TinyUmbrella to boot. *This will kick any device out of a recovery loop for almost any reason. Some bootloops can be due to corrupt firmware and can only be solved with a full restore.

3. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I've done that

but it doesn't seem to upgrade the baseband.

What I'm saying is that I'll go ahead and cook the IPSW, attempt to restore it to the iPhone, and after it kicks into error 1015, everything seems to be affected - except the baseband.

Hooking the iPhone up to TinyUmbrella reveals that it's running JB iOS 4.1 with baseband 05.15.04.

Appreciate the help, btw.

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

We'll do anything to have you stay away from that Windows phone =)

Are you getting the warning in step 5 when you run PwnageTool?

5. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

6. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me make clear:

everything proceeds smoothly, right up to the point when I attempt to restore the custom IPSW to the phone.

At that point, the IPSW craps out (halfway/three-quarter of the way?), and I get error 1015. Kicking out of recovery with Tiny Umbrella always shows that the iPhone has a JB iOS 4.1 with baseband 05.15.04.

Replacing the bundles in Pwnage Tool isn't an option because you can no longer download them from the Dev Team, and using redsn0w isn't an option because the program craps out with an unexpected error.

Seriously, after 10 hours last night & this morning, and another hour today, I'm at my wit's end. It's the most frustrating experience I've ever had jailbreaking. I'm in the middle of finals, and I need a phone.

7. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried restoring again to custom 4.1 with iPad baseband

And still no joy. I'm about ready to punt the damned iPhone into the river. What a coruscatingly frustrating, maddening experience. The phone and iTunes sit there, mocking my impotence.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you try Redsnow.
    That also install the ipad BB.

9. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried redsn0w

And it's just as unsuccessful. It craps out with an 'unexpected error' message.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd try it on another computer then.

11. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously. WTF?

I've loaded Windows 7 onto my MacBook. I've downloaded redsn0w onto Windows. And now, when I try to put the phone into DFU mode, it says that it can't go into DFU mode.

At this point, I've got an 8GB iPhone 3GS, running jailbroken 4.1 iOS with the 05.15.04 baseband, which makes it an iPod Touch. Essentially, I've spent $150 for...nothing.

I mean, WTF? How can it be this frakkin' difficult to perform a baseband upgrade?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Trust me, its not that difficult.
    It works for most people.
    When running Redsnow on Win7 make sure it runs as administrator and under compatibility mode chose windows xp service pack 2,then youll be good.
    Also you gotta time it right to put it in pwned DFU mode, you gotta keep trying till you get it.
    If a second or less off it wont go, be patient, try not to smash the phone and repeat the steps till you get it right. :)

13. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

right

:(

I know it's not that difficult. I've done it before. Which is why it's so exquisitely frustrating that...it...just...won't...take.

FWIW, I really appreciate the help you've all given me. Too bad it hasn't paid off as of yet. Just tried running redsn0w again under Admin mode, and the following error popped out:

'No device identified. Check Google to see how to put your device into DFU mode.'

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry dude, take a break and try again later.
    Also give it a shot using another computer, different USB wire maybe and be patient.

15. arkhangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Have tried the following things:

Two different computers: a 2009 iMac and a 2008 MacBook

Six different USB cables.

Two operating systems: the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard and the latest version of Windows 7 Ultimate.

And two different methods (Pwnage Tool 4.1.3 and the latest version of redsn0w). Pwnage 4.2, for reasons passing my understanding, won't let you upgrade the baseband - it greys out the option.

At this point? I got nothing. I literally tried seven straight times to put the damned iPhone into DFU, and it just laughed at me.

16. kaymm2 macrumors newbie

I have the same exact issue with an iPhone 3GS 32GB (old bootrom). I created a custom IPSW with pwnage tool 4.3.1 unlock edition and specified the ipad 3.2.2 ipsw too. I then restored it, but the baseband remains at 05.15.04. I did it many times and it doesn't change. When I used redsn0w, it would crash trying to download the ipad files.

17. bullerdick macrumors newbie

Me Too

32GS but jailbroken at 4.3.2 with 05.16.02 baseband. Im using Pwnage Tool 4.3.2. Upgrade baseband is greyed out. Redsnow crashes.
    Great iPod! I'd love to get the phone running.
    :confused: