8 GB iPhone 4, 3.8 GB of "other?????

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GonzagaDynasty, Jul 13, 2012.

1. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2009
    Hey guys... My phone has 3.8 GB of "other" used up and I have no idea what this "other" is...

Keep in mind I don't have hardly any pictures ,videos, anything like that. It's just a phone with contacts and apps.

If I had to restore, is there any way I can get my apps and app data back without also getting back the 3.8 GB of "other?"

I'm not sure if I backed it up now, and then restored the phone from the backup, if the "other" data would return.....

And if I restored as a new phone, well I would lose EVERYTHING and I don't really want to do that.. But I want more space, and the phone is running very poorly.
  2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2008
    Have you tried deleting some text messages? Usually the 'Messages' app is the culprit. If you do decide to do a factory reset, back up and save to a computer first so that all of your applications will be saved. Set up as a new device. You'll be able to get everything back by right-clicking on your device and choosing 'Restore From Backup'.
  3. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for your reply... I will try that.

But wouldn't a restore from backup give me back everything I have now..? So wouldn't that include "other?"