8 gb Ipod touch with 14.5 gb availible on drive??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by smkcrckmak, Feb 9, 2010.

1. smkcrckmak macrumors newbie

So my ipod touch's Back light went out. I took it to the mac store and they said they would run some tests on it and return. When he came back he had a new 8gb ipod for me. I got home and plugged it in to my computer and it reads that it has 14.5 gb on the hard drive. Did i just luck out and get a random mistake from the refurbishing company. Or does this happen that often?
    Thanks for reading.

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Wait... So the back is engraves with 8 GB. But when on iTunes, it says you have 14.5 GB? If so, then the put an 8GB back with a 16GB logic board. When did you buy the touch the first time? Also, Does the Serial number on the back side were the engraving is match the serial number in iTunes and in the About screen? Please tell us.

3. smkcrckmak thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it first off Ebay, about four months ago.The serial numbers from the ABOUT page and the back casing do not match. four characters do not match up. It has 8Gb engraved on the back casing, and has 14.5 available space. I loaded the contents from my last ipod 8gb on it and still have 6.9gb available on the new one.

Lew me know what you think....
    Thanks....

4. cakbar macrumors regular

Sounds like a random screw up at the refurbishing plant. Perhaps you can make it your life goal to find the person at the other end of the screw up (they have an 8GB that they think is a 16GB). It would make a good Apple ad, except for the fact that Apple would never, ever, ever, admit to screwing up.

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

no, it's not apple's fault is EBAY'S FAULT!:p

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

maybe he replaced the metal back with a 8 gb cover?

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Sounds like someone did that at some point, but the OP implied he had started with an 8GB Touch, so now he's gotten a free capacity upgrade ;)

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

9. smkcrckmak thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have any pics of it. but the model numbers read this. Model number MB531LL ( 16gb Ipod Logic board )
    Model Number A1288 ( 8Gb ipod Casing). Crazy i dont know I guess i got double hard drive for free thanks to the mac store. And they gave me a brand new one from a box not replacing just the back.

10. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

great...you are very lucky!

you could always call apple and ask whats the matter:D i hope they wont take it back/exchange again...