8 or 6 gigs of RAM in 2.4GHz uMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warranty Voider, May 14, 2009.

1. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I know that there have been many different threads about this but I haven't found a definitive answer. So... Is 8 or 6 gigs possible in the 2.4 uMBP? I'm almost positive that 8 gigs isn't, but I've heard mixed results about 6 gigs. Some say it's stable, some say it's perfectly fine. Anybody out there with a 2.4 with more then 4 gigs?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Six definitely is. I have six in my Revision D MBP.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Six will be stable. Eight won't be... at least not yet.

4. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so than is it a hardware problem or a software problem. Is it worth waiting until snow leopard to see if they change the firmware to except 8 gigs? By then the prices will also be cheaper.

5. TXBDan macrumors regular

Thats a lot of ram..

I have 4gigs in my 2.4ghz early '08 and i almost continuously have a Windows VMware session running and i do a lot lightroom, photoshop, and final cut... this machine runs quite nicely i'd say. i'm extremely pleased.

6. vault macrumors regular

I have 8 GB in UMBP 2.66 and it's rock solid. Don't know about 2.4 though, they used to cause problems with more than 6 gigs.

7. santos79 macrumors regular

Be patient. We'll have to wait at least until Snow Leopard gets launched for a definitive answer. Who is crazy enough to invest 700-1200 dollars for a tiny performance increase anyway? You can get a new Macbook for that price.

8. santos79 macrumors regular

What did that cost you and what's the difference in performance between 4 and 8GB?

9. Performa636CD macrumors member

For me, it's about upgrade potential and laptop longevity.

I have a 12" PB G4 (running Tiger) right now that's starting to show its age. If I could somehow upgrade the RAM to 2.25 GB or higher I would have no need to upgrade for another year at least. The only reason I'd have to upgrade is if this laptop breaks or software I need is no longer made for Tiger.