iPhone XS 8 plus to XS? Anyone did the trade? Is the screen actually smaller?

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello, how are you?
I am wondering about this.
I have an 8 Plus. It is 5.5 inches.
The XS is 5.8, but it is taller with a different aspect ratio and the notch, so I believe the actual screen area is smaller.
Also, the XS screen is narrower and so I fear it might be a worst experience to some types of content consumption, specially web browsing.
Is this the case?
If you done this switch, what’s your take on this?

Cheers!

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
Yes and no. The aspect ratio is smaller but it is taller. It’s mainly all personal preference though. The X feels bigger to me but overall size of the phone is smaller. I like the Plus but the size of the phone is just too big for me.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Yes and no. The aspect ratio is smaller but it is taller. It’s mainly all personal preference though. The X feels bigger to me but overall size of the phone is smaller. I like the Plus but the size of the phone is just too big for me.
I have an Xr which is bigger than the X, and my daughter has my old 7+. I wish I never gave her my 7+, the screen is so much better for viewing movies and webpages. I only wish they would give the old phones the new phone gesture controls.

BigDO

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
The Xs screen displays more information in portrait mode and less information in landscape mode than the 8 Plus is one way to explain it. If you use your phone to watch videos you're definitely better off with the Plus models than the X models (which display video the same as the 4.7" models).

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
I had the 8 plus and then the Xs Max, but even after using this size for 2 consecutive years I still can’t manage it comfortably with one hand and handling the device in crowded public transport is a nightmare so going with the normal size 11 Pro this time around since the battery life is almost on per with the Xs Max now.

Reactions: madKIR

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
The Xs screen displays more information in portrait mode and less information in landscape mode than the 8 Plus is one way to explain it. If you use your phone to watch videos you're definitely better off with the Plus models than the X models (which display video the same as the 4.7" models).
It’s not a matter of videos.
It is more a matter of using safari and how both phones will render the web pages.

Puonti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Maybe this chart I created last year will help you visualize it. It doesn't show you a direct comparison between an 8 plus and a XS, but the things it does show you are:

1) XS max has a screen as wide as the 8 plus (bottom right comparison)

2) XS max screen is wider than XR screen (bottom center: bright green vs the two shades of yellow)

3) XS screen is narrower than a XR screen (bottom left: two shades of orange vs two shades of yellow)

As for web rendering, sites should render at the same physical size on both devices (on Safari) so you'll get less text per line on the XS. This is why I went from a 7 plus to a XS max - I wanted the same width and much more height, rather than much less width and marginally more height.

Attachments

Reactions: gdourado

Elitegate

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
Hello, how are you?
I am wondering about this.
I have an 8 Plus. It is 5.5 inches.
The XS is 5.8, but it is taller with a different aspect ratio and the notch, so I believe the actual screen area is smaller.
Also, the XS screen is narrower and so I fear it might be a worst experience to some types of content consumption, specially web browsing.
Is this the case?
If you done this switch, what’s your take on this?

Cheers!
The screen itself will be larger (5.8" vs 5.5") But since the phone itself (footprint) is smaller, you may think you have a smaller screen. You will get used to it.

JPH675

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
I went from iPhone 7+ to X and yes the screen is smaller but in a more portable device that fits easier in my pocket.

I pre-ordered an iPhone 11 for many reasons coming from an iPhone X. If I can't live with that iPhone 11 screen, my Plan B is to return it and get an inexpensive, new iPhone 8+ and wait for next year.

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Here is X vs 7+, which is the same comparison:

X:
226D2414-05FA-41FC-9A4A-CCA107544389.png

7+:
76B53BBE-7D87-4FFA-BE72-5A656D2797D7.jpeg

The effect for web browsing is negligible in my opinion.

The effect is most pronounced when looking at photos or video as the hight of the screen is more important in that use case.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Here is X vs 7+, which is the same comparison:

X:
View attachment 858616

7+:
View attachment 858617

The effect for web browsing is negligible in my opinion.

The effect is most pronounced when looking at photos or video as the hight of the screen is more important in that use case.
Thank you.
But I never use my phone in landscape.
Could you be so kind as to post the same comparison on portrait orientation?

Thank you.

magbarn

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2008
The screen itself will be larger (5.8" vs 5.5") But since the phone itself (footprint) is smaller, you may think you have a smaller screen. You will get used to it.
Some of us don't get used to it. One of the reasons I spurned the X and went with the 8+ at the time was the narrower screen. I couldn't ever get used to it. Relieved when the Xs Max came out...

Reactions: OBirder

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Some of us don't get used to it. One of the reasons I spurned the X and went with the 8+ at the time was the narrower screen. I couldn't ever get used to it. Relieved when the Xs Max came out...
Same here.

Even for reading in Safari, the letters are physically smaller due to the narrower width on the Xs compared to the Xs Max. For my eyes which are not the same as many moons ago, this was important.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
For a follow up, just picked a XS Max today.
Got a great deal and couldn’t resist.
So far I find it more difficult to use one handed than my 8 plus due to the fact that I need to reach the extremes of the phone frame because of the all screen design.
But it just takes some getting used to I guess.
But I am really excited about the XS Max!

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
For a follow up, just picked a XS Max today.
Got a great deal and couldn’t resist.
So far I find it more difficult to use one handed than my 8 plus due to the fact that I need to reach the extremes of the phone frame because of the all screen design.
But it just takes some getting used to I guess.
But I am really excited about the XS Max!
2 years of plus / max size and I still couldn’t get used to the size. Going with the normal size pro this time. Unless you’ve got massive palms you’ll feel the fatigue.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
2 years of plus / max size and I still couldn’t get used to the size. Going with the normal size pro this time. Unless you’ve got massive palms you’ll feel the fatigue.
I am going to start using the XS Max today.
I still have to restore my 8 Plus and set it up.
But let’s see.
Anyway, it was a great deal and I just couldn’t refuse.