80°C fans don't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warranty Voider, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Ever since I got my unibody macbook pro, I've noticed that it can get really hot, really fast. It's not uncommon for the temperature to be 80° while on the 9400, and the fans still stay idling at 2,000 rpm. When I'm using the 9600, it's usually much hotter. The weird thing is that my friend has almost the exact same MBP (2.53GHz instead of 2.4) and his fans speed up around 65°C. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. I've been using SMC fan control for a while now. I was wondering if there was a way to change the temp at which the fans automatically turn on.

4. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Good question...

Because I use SMC fan control as well but you have to manually increase the fan speed. Is there somewhere in the computer itself that allows you to change the settings so the fans kick on at say 65 celsius or is there an auto mode with SMC fan control?

5. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

6. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

I know this sounds dumb, but have you tried enabling the "autoapply favorites when power state changes"?

Other then that, I would say try and copy the application into the application folder and restart the app. Sorry for my lack of help :(

7. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

SMC fan control isn't supposed to automatically turn on the fans, the SMC (System Management Control) should do that. There was a SMC update from apple abut a month ago, but it only made the problem worse.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine fans spin up when around 87ºC. No I'm not worried.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yep, that sounds about normal... 85~88°C. Mine does it too

10. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

From my experience it seems like the fan spin up is depending more on the GPU-temperature then the CPU-temperature.

If you stress only the CPU from running like: yes > /dev/null
    in two terminal windows (one for each core) you can get the CPU temp up to 95+ C (didn't dare to go further :)) without the fans kicking in automatically.

But if you for instance start a 3D-app the fans start to spin up around 75-80C (CPU temp, according to the SMC-fancontrol icon).

It's a bit odd.. I haven't had any problems with the temp in real world usage though. It's surprisingly cold (on the outside ;)) and quiet for a such high power laptop. I'm really pleased and as long as the fan kicks in around 80-85C I'm good. :)

11. Macintom macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

if you´re looking for an automatic fan-speed adjustment at least for Mac OS X, give this a try:

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

As "SMC fan control" has to be adjusted manually it´s not comfortable. The software mentioned above works perfectly for me.
    Also you can tell "fancontrol" at what temperature to start spinning the fans faster and when to spin at maximum speed.

The only problem is: it doesn´t work for Bootcamp :rolleyes:

Goodbye, Tom

12. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

Awsome! Thanks for the suggestion.