80 gig iPod classic says no music, but has only 3.9 gigs left

Discussion in 'iPod' started by caffeeneaddict, Sep 16, 2008.

1. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

so the title kind of explains it, but today i tried to use my iPod and it said that there was no music. odd, especially since i know there's ALL my music on there. and in the about section it says that there's no music movies or photos but there's 70.3 gigs of other. any ideas on how to get my music back on there? mainly since 90% of my music isn't on my computer at the moment, restore is kinda out of the picture

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

sounds like a a software fault, you're going to have to reformat that bad boy.

go to disc utility, select the iPod and hit Erase (OS X Journaled)

iTunes will then pick it up again and reinstall the software.

3. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Wait! How many songs/audio files are already on there? It limits it at 30,000.

4. Torajima macrumors regular

If you copied music files to the iPod using disk mode (rather than iTunes sync), they will NOT be playable from the iPod.

5. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

I agree, this sounds like what happened. Try plugging it back in, and explore the iPod through Finder/Windows Explorer and try copying the files if they look to be actual audio files.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

No it doesn't!

7. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Yeah, your're right, it doesn't limit it at 30,000, it limits it at 25,000 photos!

It has been that way for every iPod that could ever hold that many photos or more (so I think 20Gb and up). It has seriously said that forever, all the way back to my old iPod Photo. See below if you don't believe me- note that the 32GB Touch and the 120GB Classic are both limited at 25,000:

Attached Files:

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's not a hard limit. It's just a way of demonstrating how much space is on the iPod using an average file size/type.

9. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

No it's not, if that were the case it would say you are allowed to put more photos on the 120GB Classic than the 32GB Touch.

If they were trying to give an estimate at how much they could each hold, an iPod with about four times the space of another iPod would be listed as being able to fit about four times the photos, right? They have either been mislisting this (at 25,000 photo max) for over four years, or they did set a hard limit of 25,000 photos on their iPods.

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Ah, I see. I think someone should actually test this thing out and load thousands of duplicate pictures on their ipod. I guess it doesn't apply to me anyway, lowly 16GB touch owner that I am.

11. Person7700005 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I have a similar problem with an 80gb iPod. .My songs no longer show up in iTunes but still appear to be stored on the iPod somewhere. Is it possible to retrieve the files? :(

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There is a program called Senuti that allows you to retrieve songs from an iPod, I have never had to use it, but I hear it works fine.

And in the future: DO NOT BUMP THREADS, it is against forum rules. And for your question, a simple search may have yielded you a quick answer as this has been discussed hundreds if not thousands of times.

13. Ell2Cool macrumors member

get yourself a copy of "Yamipod".

It allows you to copy your music back to your comp from your ipod. then you can go ahead and restore your ipod knowing you've got all your tunes. :)