Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I GOT a 16 inches and returned it to Apple. I keep prefering my 17 mate screen, and really can´t bear the plethora of adapters for thunderbolt 3. It´s ridiculous. For heavy duties I have my Mac Pro.

And with this new module from @troop231 , has everything an actual apple laptop has.

I have "normal" USB Ports, Thunderbolt, ethernet, Firewire, etc, even an Expresscard port where I have USB 3.0, or an ESATA card, it depends. For me, best Apple laptop ever.

I live in Spain. And I have been looking again. As I told almost 2 months. You szhould receiver it very soon. Don´t worry.-

Thanks :) We're working to bring RAM upgrades available to 2012-2015 retina MBP's next via a mail-in service. Every site says it's not possible to upgrade RAM, ha! Challenge accepted. :)

Keep the older and more reliable MacBooks running!

Reactions: trifero

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I GOT a 16 inches and returned it to Apple. I keep prefering my 17 mate screen, and really can´t bear the plethora of adapters for thunderbolt 3. It´s ridiculous. For heavy duties I have my Mac Pro.

And with this new module from @troop231 , has everything an actual apple laptop has.

I have "normal" USB Ports, Thunderbolt, ethernet, Firewire, etc, even an Expresscard port where I have USB 3.0, or an ESATA card, it depends. For me, best Apple laptop ever.

I live in Spain. And I have been looking again. As I told, almost a month. You should receiver it very soon. Don´t worry.-

I’ve MagSafe (which I love), Thunderbolt, Ethernet, FireWire, USB 3.0 an optical drive, the ability to upgrade ram and storage. Also love that the battery can be swapped (as my 2015 battery now has 2200 cycles).

Ambrogio

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Hello Troop231, hello unibody owners!
Great job! It's what I was looking for. I just placed my order from Italy.
I had made an unsuccessfull attempt with another project (yes: Quicker .... but not in returning what was paid). Now I am looking forward to receiving the card for my mid 2012 MBP. Thanks

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hello Troop231, hello unibody owners!
Great job! It's what I was looking for. I just placed my order from Italy.
I had made an unsuccessfull attempt with another project (yes: Quicker .... but not in returning what was paid). Now I am looking forward to receiving the card for my mid 2012 MBP. Thanks

Thank you for the order, it was shipped out today.

TJB3

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2020
Just ordered one of these units. I'm very excited to pep up my 2012 a1278 wifi speeds.

TJB3

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2020
Thank you, your order is scheduled to ship tomorrow. :)

Thank you very much. And thank you for your work on this endeavor. I have been interested in this upgrade for some time but until now it has not been possible. If you need any photos of the install or any other info please let me know.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm still nervous as according to the shipping, my order has been "In Transit to Next Facility" for nearly a month :O

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 11.49.22 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 11.49.22 pm.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 371

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I'm still nervous as according to the shipping, my order has been "In Transit to Next Facility" for nearly a month :O

The best thing we could do is ship out another one, but you would need to return the first one whenever it shows up, since we are almost of of stock and we would need it back.

Just let me know what you would like.

Last edited:

p99p

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2020
Hey Guys first of all I want to apologize for my bad English I hope you understand me
i got this part last week and installed it so far so good it works well
but on my part are only 3 connections but my old AirPort has 4 I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 NONRETINA A1286 I left the langer one internet is working good but get temporarily no internet but my wifi is still connected but I think that's not a problem of the new wifi card this problem appeas also with the old card
maybe someone has a fix for this ?
back to the first problem I still left one wire and I don't know were I should connect it I think its for bluethous. because my AirDrop and unlock With Apple Watch only works if I holt the device over the location of the wifi card on my MacBook did I something wrong ?

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hey Guys first of all I want to apologize for my bad English I hope you understand me
i got this part last week and installed it so far so good it works well
but on my part are only 3 connections but my old AirPort has 4 I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 NONRETINA A1286 I left the langer one internet is working good but get temporarily no internet but my wifi is still connected but I think that's not a problem of the new wifi card this problem appeas also with the old card
maybe someone has a fix for this ?
back to the first problem I still left one wire and I don't know were I should connect it I think its for bluethous. because my AirDrop and unlock With Apple Watch only works if I holt the device over the location of the wifi card on my MacBook did I something wrong ?

You didn't do anything wrong; you leave the 4th connection abandoned as per our website's instructions: https://subtle.design/pages/80211ac

These instructions are linked to on the product page and everyone agrees that they have read them before ordering.

roECjyJ.png

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The best thing we could do is ship out another one, but you would need to return the first one whenever it shows up, since we are almost of of stock and we would need it back.

Just let me know what you would like.

I'd be very grateful if you were able to do that, can definitely return the previous one, but I'm just a bit nervous its gone missing in the post... it would be my luck...

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I'd be very grateful if you were able to do that, can definitely return the previous one, but I'm just a bit nervous its gone missing in the post... it would be my luck...

Another customer from France ordered on Jan 5th and it evidently showed up in France today if that tells you anything about how long it can take. Just let me know :)

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010

We shipped you another one out today.

.Milky.Way.

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2020
Computer:
15" Mid 2012 Macbook Pro _ 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB DDR3 Memory
500GB Samsung EVO SSD
MacOS Catalina v 10.15.3

Item had super fast shipping (in U.S.) and was very easy to install.

Network Utility Link Speed: From 11.48 Mbit/s _ To 304.2Mbit/s
Wifi 5G Transmit Rate: From 450 _ To 702
Download Speed (xfinity speed test (pay for 600)): From 239.4 _ To 180
Both 802.11ac and bluetooth4.2 show up in system report now (unlike before)

Not sure why wifi went down so much after all the other connection numbers went up. Going to try and troubleshoot tomorrow; put old card back in, test, put new card back in, test. I'm not a techy/techie (sp?) person so not sure about much else. haha.

UPDATE:
Put the old wifi card back in: 802.11n _ RSSI -46 dBm _ Noise -87 dBm _ Tx Rate 405 Mbps _ download speed 248.6 Mbps

re-installed new card: 802.11ac _ RSSI -53 dBm _ Noise -78 dBm _ Tx Rate 527 Mbps _ download speed 211.9 Mbps

Any ideas on what I can try or what I am doing wrong? Is there settings on my router I might need to change? Netgear AC1900 _ C700-100nas. Any recommendations on a new modem and router or modem/router combo. I think i need to upgrade.

Last edited:

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Any ideas on what I can try or what I am doing wrong? Is there settings on my router I might need to change? Netgear AC1900 _ C700-100nas. Any recommendations on a new modem and router or modem/router combo. I think i need to upgrade.

Does your router have beamforming and if so, is it enabled? These WiFi cards generally perform best with the AirPort Extreme and that is how we test and verify each card before shipping.

.Milky.Way.

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2020
Does your router have beamforming and if so, is it enabled? These WiFi cards generally perform best with the AirPort Extreme and that is how we test and verify each card before shipping.

it does and it is enabled. There are two settings. Beamforming transmission (enabled) and beamforming reception (enabled). Should I disable these?

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
it does and it is enabled. There are two settings. Beamforming transmission (enabled) and beamforming reception (enabled). Should I disable these?

I think turning those off would be counter intuitive, but it won't hurt anything to try.

.Milky.Way.

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2020
I think turning those off would be counter intuitive, but it won't hurt anything to try.

no change in speeds. I’m going to chalk it up to a bad (old) modem/router. I need a new one so hopefully whenever i get one the speeds will go up. Definitely keeping the new card in the mac. Thank you for all the work you’ve done to get us 802.11ac!

naylom11

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2019
Just want to do a couple month follow up. I can confirm, I'm consistently getting a 1300 transmit rate, with 1000 - 1100 mbps download! Thanks again @troop231 ?

uMBP17"

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2017
I have this installed and works perfectly on my MBP late 2011 17incher!
Very happy! :)

Haven't tried the bluetooth yet but it should also be working :)

Anyone know if Apple watch unlock will work with this setup on catalina 10.15.3?
Don't have any apple watch atm, but planning to get one.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I have this installed and works perfectly on my MBP late 2011 17incher!
Very happy! :)

Haven't tried the bluetooth yet but it should also be working :)

Anyone know if Apple watch unlock will work with this setup on catalina 10.15.3?
Don't have any apple watch atm, but planning to get one.
With Mojave works perfect. But with Catalina, last time I tried, only works, odd, partially. Not the unlock screen but the unlock passwords. Seems to be a bug with dosdude method. Don't know if a solution has been discovered. Maybe you are luckier.

Last edited:

uMBP17"

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2017
With Mojave works perfect. But with Catalina, last time I tried, only works, odd, partially. Not the unlock screen but the unlock passwords. Seems to be a bug with dosdude method. Don't know if a solution has been discovered. Maybe you are luckier.
OK, and I need it to work with Catalina..

Anyone else had issues with Catalina in this regard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.