8600M owners with after-market RAM and/or HDD - did Apple swipe your parts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustgroove, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

My 8600M has started to fail... It lasted longer than I thought it would (my MBP is a mid-2007, purchased in May 2007) but it's still inconvenient...

The thing is, I have after-market RAM and HDD (both of which I installed myself)... if I decide to get the logic board replaced, with Apple swipe/replace these items because they're non-Apple parts?

I've heard of this happening to other people who have their machines serviced for other reasons... But I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them during an 8600M logic board replacement specifically.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not sure why your specific model matters. They have been known to replace aftermarket ram left and right. Another reason why you should keep the original ram and hard drive...

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The hard drive isn't user replaceable. If some genii notices your exchange and discovers that something is damaged they can deny the repair. Ram is another story

4. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm thanks for the reply guys... I know the particular model is irrelevant to the issue of getting the logic board replaced but I included it for general background.

I think I'll hold out for the next MBP refresh rather than get it serviced now and risk losing my RAM & HDD... For those in a similar situation, I've been using smcFanControl to max out my fans & keep the machine cool... since doing this, the machine hasn't failed once. Hopefully this way I can squeeze a couple more weeks out of it.

5. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

That's a pretty minor reason to let a good machine go to waste. The 8600M is covered, why not get it replaced? Just replacing the HD does not void your warranty, however any damage that results from the HD swap is not covered. Your problem is unrelated to the HD swap.

I have replaced both the ram and the HD in my laptop (same vintage). When I sent it in for a new display panel I left the the ram in, but swapped the original HD back in, just in case. I've swapped it a few times now and never had a problem with Apple.

If you no longer have the original HD, just let them know you have an aftermarket drive in there. Maybe it was put in at an apple-licensed shop for all I/they know. Back up your drive and as long as it's noted on the return you should be OK.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What does it matter? They're not going to just give you a brand new machine right off-the-bat. Just switch the aftermarket components out for the factory ones, provided that you have them, and make an appointment to have it serviced. (I'm not trying to sound rude so please don't read it that way.)

7. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

I need a working machine first & foremost, I cannot afford to send the machine away to get serviced right now... therefore I'll let this one chug along with smcFanControl cranked up on full so I can keep using it till the next refresh, at which point I'll (a) buy a new machine, and (b) send this one to get the logic board replaced.