8800GT Vs 4870 in MP 3,1 running 10.6 for LR & PS

slater-k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
London
Hi Everyone,

Primarily i use my MP for Lightroom and Photoshop. I was thinking of installing a flashed 4870, but i don't know how much difference the new card would make.

I'm a photographer and practically the only intensive things that i do with the MP are using LR to edit and process RAW files, and then PS to retouch files (sometimes v big), but as this can be to a deadline, speed's quite important.

Would switching make much difference to the RAW processing time, or filter times in PS? I'm going over to 10.6 during the Xmas break, and thought i could do the card at the same time if it's gonna make a nice difference.

Many thanks,
Slater
-- --
MP 3,1
16Gb RAM
OS on 1 drive
my user on 3x drive RAID 0

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Primarily i use my MP for Lightroom and Photoshop. I was thinking of installing a flashed 4870, but i don't know how much difference the new card would make.

I'm a photographer and practically the only intensive things that i do with the MP are using LR to edit and process RAW files, and then PS to retouch files (sometimes v big), but as this can be to a deadline, speed's quite important.

Would switching make much difference to the RAW processing time, or filter times in PS?

Next to nothing.

Went (06 MP) from Tiger and 7300GT to 10.5.8 and ATI 4870 and virtually no performance increase.
Photoshop,maybe some zoom/rotate canvas actions are snappier with large files (1-2gig). Lightroom havent noticed that big difference except when zooming.Even then...meh...

So worth for you? I would say no.
Learning new hotkeys in LR+PS will save you gazillion times more time with 0€ monetary input.

Just my .002€

MrBorsa

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
Next to nothing.

Went (06 MP) from Tiger and 7300GT to 10.5.8 and ATI 4870 and virtually no performance increase.
Photoshop,maybe some zoom/rotate canvas actions are snappier with large files (1-2gig). Lightroom havent noticed that big difference except when zooming.Even then...meh...

So worth for you? I would say no.
Learning new hotkeys in LR+PS will save you gazillion times more time with 0€ monetary input.

Just my .002€
Thank you it helped me also :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.