8GB of PNY RAM - $50, Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Link2999, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

2. simsaladimbamba

Upgrading RAM is quite easy. I don't know about PNY branded RAM, but I have heard good things of Crucial and Kingston RAM, I myself use CnMemory RAM in my 2009 MBP.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about PNY RAM, and $50 is definitely a good deal (and Newegg is the best).

4. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just ordered it. Hopefully it runs as well as the stock RAM.

5. Potatochobit macrumors regular

thats a good deal
    wish I saw it earlier, just picked up some crucial 8GB from microcenter for 89$
    oh well, no biggie since I got the memory installed already and its running great

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well, at least it finally comes with a lifetime warranty.

I used to avoid PNY since they were usually only giving a 2 yr warranty on RAM and flash drives (and I think their flash drives are only still ~2 years).

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Just a tip. If the RAM goes bad it will likely be only one of the two sticks. The MB/MBP can run on only one stick - which is actually one way to figure out which one went bad. I know because I got some bad RAM from OWC and they had me run my MBP with one, then the other, to help troubleshoot the problem.

8. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

9. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Interested too!

It looks like it's been getting a bunch of bad (1-star) reviews recently from people who tried to install it on their MBPs and got failed Apple mem tests.

I'd like to save $20 if possible and get the PNY, otherwise my other option is to get a set from Crucial..

10. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I'm looking at some PNY RAM on newegg, $35 for 8gb.

Has anybody had luck? The reviews on Newegg show many guys with MBPs having problems with it.

11. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Looks like a good deal, but passing on this one because of the bad Apple user reviews I saw :/

12. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I'm just going to spend the extra $8 and get G-Skill RAM. I've heard much better things about their RAM than I have about PNY.

13. Kevsource macrumors newbie

YES to PNY (for 2010 Mac Mini)

All:

I have a Mac Mini 2010 box and tried unsuccessfully to install 8GB of Patriot-brand RAM that I bought at Fry's.

Today I exchanged the RAM for the same sticks by PNY and voila! It worked on the first try!

AND...it was only $40 bucks (before tax)!

14. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

i have it in my mbp, bought it at tiger direct and it runs really fast

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I only put Crucial RAM in my macs. It is worth a few extra $$$ to be guaranteed that it will work and to have a lifetime warranty.

16. poorracerkid macrumors member

Good luck with G-Skill here. Can't say the same about PNY :rolleyes:

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I would stick to major brands that have life warranties on them...

My machines in the house have Crucial, Rendition (by Crucial), G. Skill, one machine with Patriot (win7 box) and one Mushkin as my aftermarket upgrades.

Out of them all, I don't think I'd buy Mushkin again as I got a stick of miss labeled RAM in a "kit" purchase = it was half the size of the label and and a lower speed rating.

Mushkin replaced it but the experience was less than outstanding and they made me pay the shipping for their mistake = I won't spend $$ on their products again!

Be careful with PNY because they have different length warranties on different products.

Good luck with your decision.

18. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Crucial

All the way here, they sell to Apple. Run the tool on the site to correctly identify the modules you can use.