8gb of RAM costs £75 ($120) apple charges £328 ($525). Is it magical RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Feb 13, 2011.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

8gb of RAM costs £75 ($120) apple charges £328 ($525). Is it magical RAM?

Thats not even £328 for 8GB its for an extra 4GB. Even with 100% mark up they could reduce the cost to £100 for the extra 4GB.

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Apple is not the best place to buy your RAM from. Their markup is astronomical. And it's no better than 3rd party RAM makers. So just go with a reputable brand and you'll be fine.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, it's normal RAM. Apple don't change the price of options during the lifecycle of the machine. When I bought my MBP the 8GB option was actually cheaper than the upgrade kit from Crucial. As you note the price of RAM has fallen so the third party option is now very attractive.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The other reason for the extra cost is that Apple, like most companies Apple runs extensive tests on each device before shipping, in the hopes of weeding out machines of poor quality. When you have them add more RAM, they have to do the testing again, which is why there is the higher cost. 99% of the time, you are better off buying your own 3rd party RAM.

TEG

5. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol. I didn't expect serious answers. I thought a series of puns would make for light relief while we wait for sandybridge :)

Comedy caps on........ go

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Nope, Apple is just an early adopter and pays the early premium. Stupid practice if you think about it.

I'm pretty sure that Crucial even uses the same RAM that Apple does. Silly silly.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

8. mdgm macrumors 6502a

When the MBP gets updated (hopefully soon), somehow the price Apple charges for the 8GB upgrade will fall dramatically.

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Each module is blessed by Steve Jobs in a ceremony hence the mark-up. :D

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

its not magical. .. but it does have powers. see if godzilla was to wreck havoc on your city, all you would have to do, is break the apple logo security shield (the apple logo in the front) and place your thumb print.
    apple preloaded all MB's with this ability so that it is possible to save the world. the information is stored in the memory (the HDD can get corrupt or something, the HDD provides way too much risk) now that is for the 2GB or 4GB (aka. base RAMS)

now for the 8GB, we would see something different, instead of the MB turning into this awesome super crime fighting computer, the 8GB allows more things to be stored and ran, so this creates a rainbow which leads to leprechauns arriving from the other world with their bags of gold. all we would have to do is steal their gold and put that gold into our own pockets, then put some stones into the leprechaun bag and throw it into godzilla's mouth. the leprechauns will follow to save their gold and in the end Godzilla gets a meal, and the world is saved and we all have money [well the "richer" ones who can afford Apple's extra price.