Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunkTechNician

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
I really want to purchase a new hard drive and 8gb of ram for my 2009 mbp.
I currently have 4gb but i need more.

What is the best 8gb ram i can get for 100$ DONT NEED ANYMORE BOUGHT

also I need more space for video and photo editing. I have 300gb right now but id like to go up a lot higher and faster.

what is the fastest and biggest hard drive i can get for under 200$

I would prefer 750-1tb hard drive but ill settle for a 500gb if its faster than the ones bigger.
I need the drive for a lot of video editing with final cut pro and dvd studio pro and audio editing in pro tools and logic, and photos with adobe photoshop,. i dont care to much about start up. but how fast it will render my video/audio/photos

i just ordered 8gb of ram but i want to upgrade the hard drive as well. i need at the very least 500gb but more would be better. but speed is the key since i can just use an external for extra storage

thanks

thanks

P.S. please provide links of any hard drives that are good so i can order as soon as possible.

Last edited:

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Macsales.com has pretty good deals on RAM and their RAM has always been reliable for me in the past. As for the hard drive, I'd go with this one, as it is very quick.

FunkTechNician

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
o well i ordered the other one already.

i didnt get the hard drive yet. after doing some readng it seems that that hard drive is being problematic for people..

what is the difference for performance and speed from

These two
Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...b=true&Keywords=macbook&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

and

Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lid_state_hybrid_drive-_-22-148-591-_-Product

i was thinking about doing a clone of my current set up but now im thinking ill get better performance from doing a complete fresh install of osx and bootcamp

I need the drive for a lot of video editing with final cut pro and dvd studio pro and audio editing in pro tools and logic, and photos with adobe photoshop,. i dont care to much about start up. but how fast it will render my video/audio/photos

i just ordered 8gb of ram but i want to upgrade the hard drive as well. i need at the very least 500gb but more would be better. but speed is the key since i can just use an external for extra storage

thanks

Last edited:

runofthedill

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
i just recently saw engadget through an article up about that hybrid being super problematic, and when i was in your situation all my research told me the same thing. I went with a scorpio black , but personally i cant even notice these things, i don't need the 8 gigs either, i just keep crazy amounts of programs open for no reason, im addicted to spaces.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Careful with the Scorpion Black, remember to disable Apple's built in sudden motion sensor for the Scorpio black has it's own :)

runofthedill

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Careful with the Scorpion Black, remember to disable Apple's built in sudden motion sensor for the Scorpio black has it's own :)

wait, i never have heard this before, what do i need to do? any links to any articles or anything. Sorry, didn't know this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.