8gb Retina Macbook for photograhy? Apeture? Page outs??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darrellishere, Sep 18, 2012.

1. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Hi guys. Anyone finding the 8gb model limiting with slow downs in Apeture as the ram starts to run low. Is anybody managing to do allot with only 8gig of ram?

As am torn between upgrading the SSD, to fit my apeture libary or opt for the 16gb ram.

Will 8gb be enough for medium usage in aperture?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Go 16GB.

You can always use external storage, but there's no such thing as external RAM.

3. eron macrumors 6502

You can definitely function with 8GB, like how you can function with any 2 yr old Macbook Pro. 16GB will just be faster. So it's up to you.

4. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I don't use aperture, but I use photoshop for work. and 8 GB on my mbp is plenty enough.

but if you're deciding between ssd or ram. I chose the 16GB ram and use usb 3.0 external HD.

5. darrellishere thread starter macrumors 6502

AA Cool!

Will go with the 16gigs & a usb3 SSD.

Thanks guys!

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

We ordered maxed out rMBPs for photography. We plan on keeping the rMBPs for at least the 3 years of Apple Care. So today a 2.3 or 2.7 CPU with 8G of memory might be OK for Aperture/LF/PS/plugins. But in 3-4 years? No one can guarantee that a RMBP configuration that works well today will work just as smoothly/fast after a couple more OS updates and a couple more updates of the photography apps over the next 3-4 years.

7. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

Ordered mine with 16GB ram and use Aperture frequently. Activity monitor almost always shows that I am using 8-10GB of ram when using Aperture. I shoot in RAW and the files are quite large (28-32MB). Aperture, in my experience, has always been a memory "Hog" and so I considered this when I ordered my Retina.

8. wytwolf macrumors regular

I've tried using Aperture with 8 GB of ram and always ran into page outs and large swapfiles. I recently upgraded my Late 2011 MBP to 16GB and that seems to fix it. I guess it depends on how many files you have in your library and how many you are working on in your project. I'm hoping that aperture 4 is a lil more streamlined and less of a resource hog. I've used lightroom and it only uses about 1/3 of the resources to do the same job, but I like the look and feel of aperture. The rumor mill shows a possible Oct release as there have been numerous online bookstores showing "Aperture 4: Unleashing Your Photo Workflow" with a release date of Oct 1st. This same book briefly showed up on Amazon with a July release date but was pulled down. Fingers crossed for better noise reduction and less of a resource hog, those are really my only 2 requests.

9. bill-p macrumors 65816

If you edit billboard-sized photos, you'll need 16GB.

Or if you occasionally use VMWare or Parallels to boot into Windows, you'll also need 16GB.

8GB will page out very early.